Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > For Sale

Old 13-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Gordon
Adult

I am very pleased they have both made it as you say we can't be right all the time and if I'm ever wrong I will hold up my hand and say so.
I'm glad you are back on the forum life is way to short for us to fall out and never speak isn't it .
Do you know what local your thh are.

Last edited by Gordon; 13-03-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm glad to hear they are doing well Hanako. Against the odds for sure, but their survival is to be celebrated.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 13-03-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Jan W
Sub Adult

Your babies are indeed beautiful.

Well done to all of you!
Old 13-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #14
4chester
Incubating

What locale are the parents

Mark
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #15
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there Mark - not seen your name for a while!

This is Hanako's thread but I know it's been asked before about what area the hermannis originated from and the answer was that it's not known.

Gordon and I were both interested in this question.
Old 13-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #16
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Do you know what local your thh are.
I don't know. I am sorry! At the time when I was getting the girl for the boy I already had, I knew that it is important to stick to the same subspecies, but I did not have a clue that there are differences even within the subspecies! I do regret it now, but there is nothing I can do to change it. Besides, my boy came from Wiltons pet shop (yes, I do feel bad about it but at that time I didn't know any better!) approximately 10 years ago and all they knew was that he was from Italy, which is not very helpful. From his tiny size I am guessing he is one of the smaller size localities, and he is mostly black so the guess is Apulia (Puglia) in Italy. But is is only guess, and I have even less information about the mother. I think I have posted the photo of the happy father on this forum. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=69475
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I'm glad to hear they are doing well Hanako. Against the odds for sure, but their survival is to be celebrated.
Trust me, I did celebrate it properly!
Old 14-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #18
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
I don't know. I am sorry! At the time when I was getting the girl for the boy I already had, I knew that it is important to stick to the same subspecies, but I did not have a clue that there are differences even within the subspecies! I do regret it now, but there is nothing I can do to change it. Besides, my boy came from Wiltons pet shop (yes, I do feel bad about it but at that time I didn't know any better!) approximately 10 years ago and all they knew was that he was from Italy, which is not very helpful. From his tiny size I am guessing he is one of the smaller size localities, and he is mostly black so the guess is Apulia (Puglia) in Italy. But is is only guess, and I have even less information about the mother. I think I have posted the photo of the happy father on this forum. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=69475
So not that it's a problem I would guess they are a cross which is a shame.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
Hanako
Hatchling

Cross between the localities - very likely. Cross between subspecies not. They are clean THH. Then again, there is no other species or subspecies of tortoises where the keepers are trying to match not only species and subspecies but also locality, is there? For example, when you buy horsfield, you don't try to figure out from which locality this one comes from.
Old 14-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
Cross between the localities - very likely. Cross between subspecies not. They are clean THH. Then again, there is no other species or subspecies of tortoises where the keepers are trying to match not only species and subspecies but also locality, is there? For example, when you buy horsfield, you don't try to figure out from which locality this one comes from.
Cross between localities is what I was saying yes.
As for other sub species there are a lot of people who breed pure including horsfields of which I have an adult group of 14 and if I wanted to over time separate them into at least two of the suggested sub species also I have several different locality of thh which are 100% pure. So breeding two thh together when you don't know exactly where they come from to me is wrong all you are doing is adding tortoises to the market because you seem to think it's ok to breed two tortoises together to get babies from to sell.