Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
sye
Egg

Default what to feed my daughters horsefield's

Hi my daughtrer has just been given two horsefield tortoise's and iv been given a list of what they can eat

cabbage water cress
Broccoli turnip
mint carrot
clover barley
apple broad beans
cuttlefish florette crispy mixed leaves

Ive read all sorts of stuff on the internet but all contradicting each other
I will be ordering some seeds for dandelions and chick weed but need to feed them while these are growing and i know i can buy dried dandelions from pets at home

Please any advise would be highly greatful and if theres anything on the list above that they shouldnt have please let me know.
Thanks
sye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Taszia
Hatchling

Hello if u look on here there is a list with pictures you can view or print off full of natural weeds and flowers . There seems to be allot on that list I wouldn't feed mine so have a look on there and see what you find x

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

Hi when I first got my tortoise a month ago I was recomended this site ...

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp

It is really helpful and makes it very clear what can and can't be fed. My vet also recomended this site to me.

Hope this helps

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
herriotfan
Hatchling

I'd also suggest the tortoise table as an excellent source of information.
Basically it's weeds, weeds and more weeds!!
Dogs (Ellie & Alfie)
Parrot (Peanut)
Crested Gecko (Echo)
Electric Blue Day Gecko (Bobby Blue)
Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie, Twiglet & Percy)

herriotfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
sye
Egg

Thanks for your help. I know to feed them weeds but I don't have a garden so I have to grow my own so what I want is some advice of what I can buy from the supermarket to feed them while I'm growing the weeds Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
jonesy
Hatched

Do you live anywhere where you can walk and pick some. Obviously you have to be careful that they have not been sprayed at all.
You can pick weeds and put into a plastic bag and tie it up, keep them in a fridge for up to a week if you are lucky.
Then wash them before giving. Good luck
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

On the tortoise table website there is an area in the plant database section - 'plant categories ' that I use which lists all the fruit and vegetables that can be fed to tortoise's and which ones not to feed. A lot of which can be brought from the supermarket/green grocers.

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

The best lettuce is florette crispy salad I give this in the winter some of the time, my horsfields like lambs lettuce butter nut squash is a favourite as well. Pellets are a good idea as well if you are struggling with weeds then you are getting some good nutrition into them, soak them before feeding. I give mine calcium powder on the weeds and nutrobal twice a week. Tortoise table is great for getting information on what to feed. Don't give them fruit or tomatoes and cucumber as its not good for them, the cucumber etc is ok in tiny amounts but it can give them the runs, and don't feed cabbage broccoli etc as it binds calcium. Hope that helps a little ;0)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
sye
Egg

Thanks again for all the help just got dandelions leaves from my sons over grown garden

Can any one tell me if zoo meds grassland tortoise diet is any good for them sorry about all the questions but just want to make sure we become good tortoise keepers and they dont suffer because ive not been bothered to research them in the process of ordering seeds now
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
jonesy
Hatched

You must ask any questions that you have because that is the way that you will learn. Others reading this will also be learning so don't be afraid to ask anything.
If you can try and provide a good natural diet and this won't cost you loads of money either, there must be other people that would be glad for you to do weeding. Good luck
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote