Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Pippin_9
Egg

Default Prolapse or normal anatomy?

We took Pippin to the vets as she had stopped eating and pooing and it turned out she was blocked as for some reason she'd been eating the soil/sand substrate in her enclosure. The vet has left us with the advice to keep bathing her and given us some jelly to push this bit that is sticking out back in. However, we'd really like some advice as to what this is! I push it back in with the jelly and cotton bud as recommend, but Pippin sometimes pushes it straight back out again! She seems to be able to push it out and back in at will and it even seems sometimes when she pushes it back out, it's the rounded end of a longer, thinner muscle. Is this part of the normal anatomy of a tortoise or a prolapse? We'd be greatful if anyone could shed some light or offer us some advice. Pippin is a Hermann Tortoise about 9 years old.

Pippin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

This is a female prolapse, and soaking in sugar/gloucos water can help get it to go back in.
But if she stopped eating it could well be a bladder stone, which can and does happen. Which makes your tortoise strain to poo.
I would advise getting a better vet who would take xrays to see if the blockage is a stone.
Also if the prolapse is continually exposed, it is open for bacteria to set in.
So should be delt with quite quickly.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Pippin_9
Egg

Sandy, thank you so much for your reply! She had stopped eating so the vet took blood tests and did an x-ray, she is over the blockage and eating normally again. We are treating the prolapse with baths, sometimes placing wet cotton wool on her, although not easy to get it to stay in place, the vet recommended cling film. I started to have my doubts as to what we are dealing with and really appreciate your input! How would you suggest applying the sugar syrup? Should we apply some neat glucose syrup with a cotton bud?

The vet said to put the torts on newspaper to prevent her from eating anymore substrate, but now the other one has started to eat the newspaper, despite us feeding them both well.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Pippin_9
Egg

Sorry Sandy just re-read and see you said to soak in sugar/glucose water. Would you be able to give me an idea of how much to use?

Many thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Sandy will know exactly, and there is a post with quantities, but just in case you are waiting on tenderhooks I don't think it matters too much as long as the water has quite a bit of sugar in it. Say 3 teaspoons to a cup size. The sugar is supposed to reduce it I think as in it absorbs and shrinks so it goes back in so I don't think it would do any harm on quantities within reason, CB
Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin_9 View Post
Sorry Sandy just re-read and see you said to soak in sugar/glucose water. Would you be able to give me an idea of how much to use?

Many thanks!
When I used it, I just poured sugar into water until it was melted. I didnt use quantities:0)
Less rather than more. It helps the swelling (if any) to go down.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote