Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 13-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise
Default Probe under lighting

Hi I am wondering if I have the temp probe in the right place I have it situated directly under the lamp. The only prob I have is Teddy keeps walking over it and it moves and the wire lifts out of the soil. Where can I position it so it doesnt get walked over. Im worried she will get her little legs tangled in the wire. Any advice would be great!!!

Also the probe bit that sticks out, how much of it should stick out of the soil..Is it all of it or just the pointy bit... TA Claire

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
littletort
Incubating

Hi claire
i have this problem too, ive got a youngster who does it all the time and i have to just keep putting the probe back each time, i try and make the wire part go around the edge of the table as much as possible then just bury the wire ecxept the probe!! its just a daily occurance when i feed her i just re arrange the probe too!! at least its still checking the temps!!
littletort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Hi Littletort Thanks for the reply, I was jsut thinking to myself that I hadnt any replies lol... So its not just me then lol..Think I will go sort it out now whilst Teddy is outside playing Thanks Claire

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

Old 14-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

can you not just take the tort out the enclosure for 5 mins while you take the temperature? it sounds like you are leaving the thermometer probe in there all the time? it doesn't really need to be in there permanently IMO, I just take the temp once in a while as it never changes much unless the weather changes
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Hi Alan, Can u do that? Not hav it permanently under lamp? I thought it had to be under all the time...I have dug it down again today and placed stones over to stop the wire from coming up...Will see how it goes..Thanks

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

Old 14-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes, you don't need it there all the time. Once you find the hottest temperature, say mid afternoon then it won't change much from day to day if you don't move the bulb. if you notice it really warm or really cold then you can take it again but torts are not daft, they will move away from the heat if it gets too hot
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote