Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default critical care formula

I am looking after a poorly little tort at the moment. He is only small and a bit sniffy and eyes were closed. Vet treated eyes and they are ok.

I am using critical care formula buy vetark and it mentions quantities through the mouth...for chickens...., reptiles , anyway I am bathing him in it and though it doesn't say wash it off I thought you had to because it is a 'food' source and will generate bacteria if not rinsed (like some of the other available bathing products). Do TK's do this , ie rinse off....what are your views, just that he doesn't mind the bath but the rinse is causing water up his nose....CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 07-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Whenever I use Critical Care I always wash it off afterwards. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Whenever I use Critical Care I always wash it off afterwards. Mary
thank-you Mary, response much appreciated, do you just use the one blue scoop to some water, 1 - 200ml it says for drinking water or are you a bit more liberal as it is a bath? I worried that it would irritate his eyes as he rubs at them but he seems ok in it. I will continue to wash off. I just pour some warm water over him, CB
Old 07-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Yes I thnk we're supposed to wash it off. I've never been convinced they absorb any of it in a bath but it can't do any harm.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

I usually just use the one scoop as I find it rather sticky. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Yes I thnk we're supposed to wash it off. I've never been convinced they absorb any of it in a bath but it can't do any harm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
I usually just use the one scoop as I find it rather sticky. Mary
very grateful to you both thanks. I was rather taken with it. First time I have used it but little one bit poorly and not eating much. she seemed to perk up a bit as well after it where as normal bath she is bit lethargic still. and did then eat quite a bit.

I have always bathed at 32 degrees but short and sweet to keep the water at that temp. CB
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Splinter
Egg

Half a jar of Baby food (Hipp "Simply Carrot" and "Simply Squash" are great) with Critical Care in the bath does some good in my opinion.

But yes, do give a plain water bath after to wash most of it off.

In terms of temps, I put them in at 40 degrees and take them out/add more warm/change baths at about 32-33 degrees.

Last edited by Splinter; 10-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Half a jar of Baby food (Hipp "Simply Carrot" and "Simply Squash" are great) with Critical Care in the bath does some good in my opinion.

But yes, do give a plain water bath after to wash most of it off.

In terms of temps, I put them in at 40 degrees and take them out/add more warm/change baths at about 32-33 degrees.
thank-you. I worry the washing off is getting into her lungs as she is worse when I do it. She had been eating, I will look at that also, but I thought she was a gona last night as found her upside down and v cold. And then after about ten minutes in my hands she woke up and sneezed. Big breath. (me). I'm a little torn between keeping her very warm under lamp or letting her wander, but she easily chills even though it is right set up. Interestingly about baths I don't go above 32'c ever cause I have found over the years they seem to 'back away' in it, but that's also interesting you do 40' c baths.

That critical care formula seems very good I thought. seemed to boost her a little. C
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Splinter
Egg

If she is eating ok, no need for the baby food, though the carrot is apparently very good for Vit A anyway. Just be careful when washing off, she will probably wash her lower half and face off in a plain bath, so focus more on the shell in my opinion. You can always pick her up and put water over her head at an angle so she does not get it down her.

Raising temps for a sick tort is good I believe, as it helps them fight it off faster (by increasing their metabolism), including overnight temps, especially if she is on antibiotics. For antibiotics upto 30 degrees overnight is good I am told. Though if rasing temps be sure to bath more frequently (at least twice a day, maybe 3 times), as dehydration is just as bad.

With mine I have found that they are fine at 40 degrees (for bath water) and start to want to come out once it reaches 32-33, thus I add more warm or change bath water at this point.

If you need to raise her temps, making a nursing box from a converted under bed box is good in my opinion, as this makes it easier for you to control the temps.

You could also "steam" her using something like a small garden sieve (with a piece of cut up tea towel inside to sit her on) and holding it carefully over some boiling water, with some tea towel covering move of the sieve to trap the steam inside. hold your hand under the sieve to make sure it does not get too warm/hot, it should feel slightly warm, but certainly not hot, bare in mind it will be hotter inside as the steam will be trapped by the tea towel (be very careful if you do this, as it could be very dangerous if done wrong!)

Bare in mind I'm a newbie when it comes to torts, but this has helped us.

Last edited by Splinter; 11-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Splinter
Egg

This is a safer option for steaming if like me you don't feel confidant at doing it using a bowl of boiling water (as my wife does!).

Same as the other method, except using a face sauna to produce the steam, you can monitor temps easily using a infrared (laser) thermometer.

I am a newbie when it comes to torts, but I have found steaming to be very useful.

Last edited by Splinter; 11-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.