Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffel View Post
Thanks for all advice so far, my truffel is a horsefield pet shop said approx 2yrs, i spent £250 on him, which is so worth it he is adorable you can see him in my avater, as for breathing etc no signs of that, he seems pretty healthy and eating everything, i have no money left now lol, so may have to turn the viv over then, though theres to air vent holes on the back how to i stop sand and soil coming out, he seems pretty happy, though after reading online advice and forums the pet shop said so many wrong things he said to feed it lettuce tomatos and cucumber, where as i have bought seeds from sw hence i found the forum, and their already growing and bought florette crispy and picked some dandilions for the mean time, i wont truffel to have the best life though i have spent most my money on him this week proberbly take a month to saught out, im gutted really as i called the pet shop to see if he can get a tortoise table for exchange but he was adement that vivs are the best so he wouldnt exchange, but did say he could find out how much one is if i want one,

Thanks so much any other tips i should know or how to set up a cheap table please let me know im very new at this only had truffel for 1 day and love him already

xx
My horsefields are in a viv and doing great after well over 6 months! I open the doors regularly so they get plenty of fresh air & it has got plenty of ventilation slots in it. Personally i prefer a viv as they are better at temp maintenance in my experience, but i know others have had different experiences! I guess it all depends on personal experience. My viv experience is a positive one but others have had better experience with tables.
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestaylor18 View Post
My horsefields are in a viv and doing great after well over 6 months! I open the doors regularly so they get plenty of fresh air & it has got plenty of ventilation slots in it. Personally i prefer a viv as they are better at temp maintenance in my experience, but i know others have had different experiences! I guess it all depends on personal experience. My viv experience is a positive one but others have had better experience with tables.
James what wattage basking bulb would you recommend for truffel's viv.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
truffel
Egg

I dont know why my posts arnt showing, but thanks all for advice all taken on board, and james i also would like to know the wattage for basking bulb and how to get a fitting facing down, all i have seen are on an angel thanks
truffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #24
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffel View Post
I dont know why my posts arnt showing, but thanks all for advice all taken on board, and james i also would like to know the wattage for basking bulb and how to get a fitting facing down, all i have seen are on an angel thanks
Not sure if a 100 watt spot bulb will over heat a viv, depending on the size, have heard peep's using a 75 watt spot, they are both cheap. This is were the thermometer comes handy, knowing the temp's can be vital.
Old 24-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #25
truffel
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Not sure if a 100 watt spot bulb will over heat a viv, depending on the size, have heard peep's using a 75 watt spot, they are both cheap. This is were the thermometer comes handy, knowing the temp's can be vital.
Ok great thanks im not sure of dimensions lol, but not big, it already gets too hot and steams so i leave the doors open a little and this helps no steaming at all, i will head out 2moz and try and find a basking bulb that faces down, hope i do dont want to go back to pet shop, so will look around only the best for my truffel Thanks
Old 24-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
yuna1971
Adult

Truffel, you want to see if you can get a 75w basking bulb. Maybe put some holes in the viv, if you find it is steaming up. It is vital that you can maintain a good warm end - which is where truffel will bask when he is cold or not at the right temp. And a cool end, which is where you can put his sleeping area, you know with a hut or some readigrass.
I will point out. Be sure and careful that NO readigrass gets into the basking spot. Brush it to one side or pick it up if you find this.
A normal basking bulb - can just face downwards. Are there any fixtures inside the viv that look like they can hold a normal spot bulb??
See if you can take a pic of your viv and post it up here.
You can go for a 75w or even a 60w. AS LONG as you can maintain that cool end for him to sleep...and then the warm end for his basking. Keep up his bathing. Diet we can get to over time.
I am just curious to know what fixtures are in place for the basking bulb. This will be at one end of the viv I suspect. I just cant understand why they didnt include this.
Do you know what strip you have, does it have a name on the light itself, in the corner??
xx
This one is a good one:
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...5w-p-3817.html
(a nice halogen spot)
or this:
http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/exo-terr...32-p-3805.html
These are just examples. Both are fine. See if you can get locally but if not, this sites delivery is very quick.
Also SW Shop probably sells them too, and delivery good with them too.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
yuna1971
Adult

http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/vetark-n...er-p-3747.html
This is also a necessity - for dusting truffels meals. Either each day, or every other day. xx
More to follow....

Lily's Movie.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
yuna1971
Adult

http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/zoo-med-...nt-p-1137.html
Something along these lines can be used as a hide, if you havent got one already.

Heres a link to buy the Readigrass for the bedding. They can also eat this. It is harmless if they do ...but also a good source of fibre. Remember if truffel wees/poos on it, it must be changed immediately.
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...post-724-p.asp

Hope this all helps and makes sense.... xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #29
truffel
Egg

Hi, thanks for all the info, the long light i have has no name or label, but its long bright white and has a siver box on outsite to turn on and off, will see if i can pick a bulb 2moz, can it be a normal spot bulb until bask light comes? also do i still use the heat mat?
will look at the other links, how do i upload a pic everytime i try it gives option to enter url, mines on computer? Thanks so much for your help have already orderd redigrass and thermometer x
Old 24-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
truffel
Egg

hee already have nutrobol and limestone flour lol x

Didnt know how to upload pic on post as it ask for url so have changed my avatar pic of viv, no fittings in there for basking lamp??

Thanks

Last edited by truffel; 24-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.