Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Tara
Hatched

Default First 'house' for Sulcata

Hiya, im new here and this is probably one of those questions asked a thousand times ... but still ... my new addition, a year old Sulcata (approx 4inch and still with the pet store) needs a house !

I have spent many hours on the net trying to find the best thing.

Please remember, Im crap at DIY. Found this though ... do I have to worry about anything here? They breed torts so would hope they knew what they were doing. (think even I can follow this on)
http://www.carlisletortoises.co.uk/Pen.html

Or ... should I go for a plastic animal cage?

This is my last hope of inspiration and direction before I spend a fortune on something some guy has built in his back room for £2.99 and charged me £100's for ! haha

Size isn't a problem (can't be with a Sulcata about !)

Thanks all

T.

2 Sulcata's: Scoop. CB September 2006 and Travis. CB June 2007.
1 Yorkie, 1 Sprocker and 2 Moggys
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

well firstly i wud not use pine for the wood, it's a bad evergreen wood to work with and is weak and breaks often. also he is using panel pins.....these are crap and can actually be broken into two with ur hands.....there cheap and nasty. notice that he is using hardboard as the base....this is easy to break and split....even the picture shows that. this is the suff they use in book cases and within a few months u notice the back is coming apart. u shud always use a solid back. with his back that he is using it is to aborbent to be avrnished to make it waterproof, this means that it will get soggy and break quickly.

just my view
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Tara
Hatched

..... much appreciated .... think I may have to take you up in your offer. Either that or pay pets at home way too much money for a moulded piece of plastic.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
kirst16
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to kirst16

have a look at indoor enclosures, people have posted loads of pics of their enclosures fot their torts there... some similar to the wooden ones you were looking at and plastic ones or large rabbit cages....im sure youll get loads of ideas.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
pawsplus
Hatched

Take a look at the thread I started last week re: my RF's indoor tort table. It's large (and you can make it any size) and utilizes heavy plastic cement mixing tubs inside in order to prevent damage to the wood. If you're not handy, hire a handyman and show him the pix! It's not hard, and is quite attractive and easy to make. Of course, you would plant it up a bit differently for a sulcata.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Tara
Hatched

Thanks all - the indoor photos bit gave me some real good ideas, I just wish I was handy then I could build exactly what I want.

I guess I could draw it and get someone to build it up for me ... just want everything perfect LOL Typical woman my other half reckons !

Right, time to get some plans drawn up me thinks !

T

Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
pawsplus
Hatched

Really, it's just a big box, LOL! I made mine w/ the plastic on the sides to let in light, but it's not necessary -- you can just make a great big ol' box.

You don't really need plans. Just decide how big (based on what size tubs you can find -- I REALLY recommend making it to fit the tubs b/c it will make life much easier down the road), and slap it together. I used 3/4" plywood for the bottom and poplar (stained cherry) for the sides. I used screws rather than nails to connect it all b/c the mother is HEAVY and the extra strength of the screws is just a good idea. The covered end isn't really necessary -- I just liked it.

If you don't want to fool w/ the plastic, just make the wooden sides higher!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

yep screws are much better...but i wud make plans or esle ther eis nothign worse than buying or stuff and then u get stuck without knowing which bit will go where.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Tara
Hatched

Thanks
I found this and like the design.
Really can't be that hard to make.
Sorry to be such a pain, but I rather ask lots of questions than get it wrong and my tort suffer ... but is there a wood I can buy / request cut to size , that I wont have to stain or seal?

I see in some pictures the wood looks like it's veneered - can this be toxic?

Good job i have a few weeks left to get this right.
I probably would take satisfaction in building it myself, but would take more satisfaction in knowing my baby tort was safe and sound.
I really am a phobic when it comes to anything like building or DIY ... even painting !

T

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

sealing is important as it creates a much more flush finish. as said before the philpots will cut everyhting to size for u. u will need to paint and varnish it after as before hand will scratch the wood.

again this table is simple to make all all u need to do is to get ur measurements and ur away.