Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Larrah
Hatchling

Default Iv'e got my building hat on!

Okay, Bruce's first summer coming up and i'm ready to build him an enclosure!

I've got some great idea's off here and am actually looking forward to it

I have a nice little rockery on a slope that i'm gonna dig up and put log rolls around it and plant some pansies, flowers, weeds and a section of grass in there...but...while the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx recomends building on a slope how can i prevent bruce from burrowing out? If it was flat i would just put a flat peice of wood under the soil but how will i do this? any ideas? xxxx
Larrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

The TT might recommend slopes, but I dont know of many if any that do have slopes.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Larrah
Hatchling

ok, it's just iv'e got a good little area for it so will just have to work it out if no one has aany ideas
Old 20-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
scrambled legs
Hatched

Send a message via Skype™ to scrambled legs

hi larrah,

i only moved into my new house in october, so i've got the joys of the outdoor enclosures to make!

i am going to build my pens on a south facing slope, i thought of this because when the sun is low, the torts can retreat to higher ground and the sun will still be shining over the wall of the pen (if you know what i mean)

is that what you mean by slope?

Neil
Old 20-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Larrah
Hatchling

Exactly Neil! (Love the pic by the way!) How are you gonna prevent you torts from digging out? I'm a novice at this so please excuse my ignorance! xxx
Old 20-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
CJ
Sub Adult

Hi Larrah. Can you dig down and line the enclosure with chicken wire, like lots do for horsfields? I've just
made Charlie's first enclosure, and our whole garden is one big slope so I've had no choice of flat or slope ,
but I've just dug out on a slope, lined with chicken wire and filled back in again, so there's no chance of the menace
escaping!! I will try and post a picture later (need to get some batteries for camera!). The good thing about slopes
is that when it rains the enclosure drains well, so don't get any really saturated areas.

Claire
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

Hi Larrah, all my enclosure is built on a slope except for the bottom half, what i did is use 2ft slabs and cut them in half and dug them into the ground before posting the new fences in, we did this by digging in different depths as it goes up into a slope, but as you can see in the pic the top fencing are used with straight slabs dug into the ground, i dont know if it makes any sense but heres a pic, hope this helps

shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Larrah
Hatchling

Cj- Thanks- i never thought of that-great idea tho and minimum efforts involved! Will definatley consider this.

Shootinlou- Great enclosure! Almost exactly how i would like mine to be...with the log rolls etc. The slabs also sound like a good idea...might have to get my boyfriend on the case tho!

Thanks for your replies guys, really appreciate your input! xxx
Old 20-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Belinda
Hatchling

I went for a 'larger effort' ( possibly too excessive ?!) way of ensuring nothing could get in or out of the enclosure, then again I have a dog that murders small animals ! We dug a narrow trench underneath the newly installed wooden panelling and filled it with quick-set concrete.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote