Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Greg,i would say that you need to up the hot end just a little for day time , 20c for night is good . A good tip is if there spending a long time sitting right under the basking spot up it a little if there sitting away from it reduce it , watch them they will tell you.
thanks for the info and the tip
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #32
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Chris those temperatures are fine for Tunisians. They have been introduced to Malta and are breeding there. In the wild on the island they seem to be doing fine with Malta's winter temperatures.
As long as you keep them from getting damp, they will be fine in those temperatures. You can though keep bringing them inside at night if you want to. At those temperatures at night, they won't be eating much though.

Danny
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #33
TortBabe
Adult

i am keeping my Tunisians at around 31 0C. I find if its any hotter they just dig down and sleep. My central heating is always on and they are in a nice warm cozy room and those temps work well for us they are active and happy
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #34
NATURALIS
Adult

good to know Dan , the only thing i was thinking about was i've been to malta in the winter some of those villa's are colder than it is outside because of the marble floors.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Than outside would be better

Danny
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #36
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Those lucky tunisians getting a start in Malta. Danny can you tell us if it's a programme of introducing them deliberately or have a few just escaped and thrived? Sounds like an encouraging story for these tortoises!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
n-raged
Egg

today i took them out and they spent some hours basking in the sun and running around but they didn't eat much. Anytime soon at around five i'll bring them in and keep them in my little ferret carrier in my room at least with all the breathing and cooking the temperature of the house is always slightly higher then outside and the carrier keeps them off the ground and plastic being an insulator. Looking forward for some sunny days to stuff them with some veggies properly you never know when a cloudy week will come. In that case i'll keep them under the studying lamp while studying so i can keep an eye on them too.

As for them becoming an invasive species it seems that my great grandfather had once 2 tortoises and left them in his field. They litterally infested the field but one day a stupid farmer went and plowed the field and killed quite a lot. They managed to save quite a lot though. Maybe i'm just being paranoid and the climate is good enough after all.
n-raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
n-raged
Egg

Btw I've never seen one in the wild personally. But if there are it can spell trouble.
n-raged is offline   Reply With Quote