Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
TortBabe
Adult

They are beautiful K&N,
Old 29-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
n-raged
Egg

Yeah they spend most of their time outside i don't like to keep them under artificial lighting nothing better then mother nature. Lol now i'm puzzled about their gender but in Malta we define their sexes by checking if their belly is concave ( a supposedly male characteristic ). I don't know their age they just happened to come in my possession but they're still very young their shell is 5 cm max.

I'll give them a wash then see if i can manage to make them gleam hehe but i'm going to be gentle i don't want to do damage in any way. Btw they seem to want to eat only lettuce i mean they're pigs for lettuce and eat carrots occasionally but they won't touch anything else. I think i should let them fend for themselves maybe they know better then me what they actually need.
n-raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
K&N
Egg

Tortoises can be stubborn about what they choose to eat, and that doesn't always mean that they know what's best for them.

I suggest that you keep offering many things for them to eat. Leave the lettuce out for a while and let them expand their menu
It might take days before they even taste new things, so be patient!
K&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
n-raged
Egg

dandelions are hard to come by this time of year what else can i give them that is dark leaved? Is spinach ok? I gave them a wash and gave their shell a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and their colours have come out beautifully when the grime came off hehe. I wish to thank you guys for helping me out
Old 31-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
K&N
Egg

Spinach is ok, but you shouldn't give too much. If I remember right, it has a lot of oxalic acid that prevents calcium absorbtion.
(hope you understand my english...)

You can also try different herbs, endive, sprouts, etc.
K&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #26
n-raged
Egg

Now winter is coming and i'm a bit worried :/ hope my little babies will make it through december, january and february without needing artificial heating it's really expensive here. During nights I'm starting to go look for them and keep them in my room to keep them warm. Hope this is enough currently the temperature is 14 to 13 degrees.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #27
gregnobes
Sub Adult

i think the temps for tunisians need to be in the 20s but im not 100% sure
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #28
NATURALIS
Adult

yes your right greg , at those temps your going to see them starting to get RNS ,to treat them at the vets is far more than extra heating . Even a 50watt ceramic can give out some heat on small tables. If you want them to servive the winter they need 34/36c during the day at the hot end of the table down to 24c at the cool end , at night they need 20c

Last edited by NATURALIS; 10-12-2010 at 09:34 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
yes your right greg , at those temps your going to see them starting to get RNS ,to treat them at the vets is far more than extra heating . Even a 50watt ceramic can give out some heat on small tables. If you want them to servive the winter they need 34/36c during the day at the hot end of the table down to 24c at the cool end , at night they need 20c
REALLY :s my Tunisians hot end is 29.4 and cold end 23.1 :S is that okay or should i get some ceramics?
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnobes View Post
REALLY :s my Tunisians hot end is 29.4 and cold end 23.1 :S is that okay or should i get some ceramics?
Greg,i would say that you need to up the hot end just a little for day time , 20c for night is good . A good tip is if there spending a long time sitting right under the basking spot up it a little if there sitting away from it reduce it , watch them they will tell you.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 10-12-2010 at 10:16 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote