Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
n-raged
Egg

grandpa told me that they can't be distinguished easily because they are still young but the male has a slightly dented belly even at a young age that increases as he gets older that makes him able to mount the female. In fact one has a little dent. I'm no tortoise expert tbh but my grandpa seems to know most of the stuff about these little creatures. I noticed that the one he said was female has a rounder shell then the other or maybe vice versa cause i easily get confused.

Now about the garden. Unfortunately my garden is occupied by a ferret during the day. (It's not unfortunite cause i love the little bugger hehe ) He is a born predator so i'm keeping the tortoises on the roof ( yes we have flat roofs in malta) where there is lot of sunshine good shelter from wind, rain and excessive sun and dries very quickly from moisture so i suppose it's an ideal place for the torts. I pluck the weeds from the garden and feed them but they seem to prefer lettuce. I would like to know about other plants they might love to eat apart from dandelions and the such. (Do they like mint?) Some day i'll design a dirt pen for them to dig in and maybe plant something in it for them to eat maybe research some plants common to malta and tunisia. If i'm doing something wrong please tell me as soon as possible i want to do things right.

and by the way can anyone tell me a good way how to give them some water to drink cause that was boggling my mind for quite some time
n-raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
linda
Adult

with regards to drinking water
you need a shallow container
big enough for the tort to climb into
they like to dunk their whole head into the water
deep enough to cover up to just below head height
plant pot saucers
cat litter trays etc etc
some people place a couple of stones into the water dish
so the tort can right itself if it topples over

have a look here
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ighlight=water
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
SeeShell
Adult

Great pics - your torts are lovely! I too have a tunisian and I love it. It has real charachter and personality. They are though a bit more difficult to keep than some other med tortoises. As eb says they are more prone to rns. They need slightley higher temps too but I'm guessing that you might have a much better climate in Malta than we have in Scotland!!
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
KatjaS
Incubating

Hi Lovely little torts you have! If you are interrested, go an look at my Albums; there can you see few pics of my little Tunisian tortoises, directly from my own incubator http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...hp?albumid=323
Old 25-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
SeeShell
Adult

Katja,
Your torts look great. Thanks for posting the pics. How many tunisians do you have and how long have you kept them for?
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
KatjaS
Incubating

I´ve had those two adult tortoises allmoust 5 (female) and 2 (male) years.. As you can see in my signature, I have only three torts 7 hatchlings, and one of them lives here with us, permanently.
Old 25-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
n-raged
Egg

Malta has a better climate then Scotland for tortoises for sure hehe. It's hot in the summer and wet in the winter but it rains much less then in scotland and the british isles that is for sure. They seem happy enough now i just came home from university and found out that they have eaten the whole banquet i prepared for them in the morning and now they're poohing like hell haha. My grandpa brought his tortoises for comparison and along with my neighbour we confirmed that Tank is a male and Rosie is a female (was a lucky gamble hahaha). The funniest thing about them is that they sleep by sticking their head in a corner don't know what kind of evolutionary adaptation that can be .

Does anyone have any idea how i can clean their shells to give it some shine?
n-raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
happylittlebee
Egg

i think they both look like females aswell, i have tusians & my males have very long tails which curl round so im sure there looking female but anyway they are beautiful.x congrats new mummy.x they do love the weeds though well mine do.xxxlol
happylittlebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
TortBabe
Adult

Hi, the only thing you can put on their shells is pure water, any cream or oil would affect their ability to thermoregulate their own temperature, and could cause them to overheat. They are beautiful. You can give them a bath in a container of shallow water.
Old 29-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #20
K&N
Egg

n-raged, what lovely tortoises you have

I have 2 tunisian juveniles myself (from KatjaS) and they definitely look a lot like yours.

Do you know how old yours are?
They look a little bit bigger than mine and mine are 1-year old.
Have they been outside all their life? If so, I should think they have grown very steadily, so they could be a lot older than mine...
K&N is offline   Reply With Quote