Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 21-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
lozzy2k1
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to lozzy2k1 Send a message via Yahoo to lozzy2k1
Default tort not eatin help

my baby tort is ill we been to a new vets near me that do reptiles n exotc pets on tues n she said its got pnumonia but apparently you dont just get it like that, got anti botics etc and was stll worried yest as it wasnt eating so phoned vet up and she not in til mon so managed to get it in shearbridge near me and they were horrible very rude and unhelp full and she said there is no way of knowing what s wrong with it and we have to get a poo sample n send it off whch takes at least a week to come bk. my tort s not eating he seems like he wants to eat but cant open mouth wide enough or reach food with neck should i blend something down and feed it wth syringe?
all the lady did was critise us and even forced my baby torts mouth open with somethng metal and you could hear it been forced open. what if it somethng wrong with jaw she jus may have made thngs worse my poor tort must have been petrified!!! she also said my sis who is nrly 18 is far 2 young to keep a tortoise! and we shouldnt have 5!!! its nothing to do with her1

1 Leopard-Georgie 4 years old
1 Marginated- 5 years old
2 twin Turkish Spur-popeye/percy 3 years old
1 dog-cavalier king-charles-Alfie 2 years old
1 parrotlet-Kiwi- 2 year old
Tropical Fish
Gold fish
3 bunnies- Muffin, Gizmo, Buttons
1 guinea pig- Guiness
Pond fish
lozzy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

The only half decent reptile vets that I know of in our regine Is Holly House Its rated number 3 in the country and I have known people travel hours to come and see sarah or Stuart Mcarthy.
They will do a poo sample while you wait..............It must have been a really rubbish reptile vets if they have to send it off to be checked.....they obviously are not qualified to check it them selves!!!
Holly House is in Meanwood not far from you......get your self an appointment there......I guarantee you will not regret it!!
here is there number
0113 2369030
its 468 street lane, Meanwood, ls17

Let us know how you get on.
Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
lozzy2k1
Hatched

they dont do reptiles any more tried went to shearbridge international zoo vets which is also highly reccommended but not goin bk

Tropical Fish
Gold fish
1 guinea pig- Guiness
Pond fish
Old 21-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
lozzy2k1
Hatched

cN I BLEND FOOD RITE DOWN ? FOR IT AND SYRINGE FEED OR NOT REALLY JUST THOUGHT IF T HAS A BT OF FOOD IN IT TO GIVE ENERGY MAYBE HE/SHE CAN DO IT BY THEM SELF THEN?

Tropical Fish
Gold fish
1 guinea pig- Guiness
Pond fish
Old 21-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Lozzy,

Try and speak to your original vet on Tuesday. They've already provided a course of treatment. Your tortoise will be ok not eating before then, they have a very low energy requirement. You could try hand feeding, this may encourage the tortoise to make the effort but I wouldn't try syringe feeding at this point, it needs to be tiny amounts syringed onto the tongue to allow the tortoise to swallow naturally not a squirt into the mouth.

Keep your tortoise warm (including overnight with the heat coming from a non light source overnight) see what your vet says on Tuesday.

Last edited by Kirkie; 21-08-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzy2k1 View Post
they dont do reptiles any more tried went to shearbridge international zoo vets which is also highly reccommended but not goin bk

If you mean Holly House then I tink you are mistaken them with another as I was only on the phone to them regarding a tort yesterday.

dawn
Old 22-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
lozzy2k1
Hatched

if thats the only one in leeds then my mum phoned up n they sed they dont do reptiles ne more?and wen i was lookn 4 the shearbridge number on net some forum came up sayin that holly house no longer do reptiles as they phoned up the only other one near by is sherbridge as they tred to take ther tort there unless they dnt take new customers. what r staff like as she was horrd n put me offx

Tropical Fish
Gold fish
1 guinea pig- Guiness
Pond fish
Old 22-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
julietaylorf
Incubating

how is your tortoise today?
julie
julietaylorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

Just phoned them right now 9.15am Saturday and the receptionist that works wed,thur,fri,sat said she has not taken a phone call anything like that!!
Reptiles are their main form of work and they will not be stopping treating any time soon That I can assure you.

Dawn
Old 22-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzy2k1 View Post
if thats the only one in leeds then my mum phoned up n they sed they dont do reptiles ne more?and wen i was lookn 4 the shearbridge number on net some forum came up sayin that holly house no longer do reptiles as they phoned up the only other one near by is sherbridge as they tred to take ther tort there unless they dnt take new customers. what r staff like as she was horrd n put me offx

I can Assure you that the staff are like family to me at Holly House and they are all very polite and helpful.....they will litteraly bend over backwards to help the customer.
I have known them drive to customers home to pick up torts becasue they were too frail to bring their shell friend in ..........and they never charged the customer a penny for the prevelidge........now how many vets would do that?

Dawn