Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
Tortoise Kid
Incubating

omg thats well good
my grandad was a painter and found a tortoise with its address painted on its shell
and it had been lost for 4 years
this was 20 years ago tho
Tortoise Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
Lyn
Adult

What a lovely ending!
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
NATURALIS
Adult

Hi, Yes i do breed tortoises, some of the time in the summer it is warmer than it is in england, with being that bit further north in the spring and autumn i use sad tubes in the green houses to give a brighter light on timers, i also use mega-ray metal halide uvb lamps and ceramic heaters on thermostats. My tortoises can come and go from the greenhouses 24/7, from march to october even on a coldish day 10degs, they still come out to graze and when they lose there heat they return to the greenhouse to warm up. I believe keeping them like this they can live as near to wild tortoises as poss in this country. Its amazing to see tortoises actully hunting for food making decisions for themselfs with very little human contact.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
NATURALIS
Adult

Sorry made mess of this, my last reply was to caladonias question.
Old 31-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Sorry made mess of this, my last reply was to caladonias question.
That's ok I knew it was a reply to mine. I've seen quite a few Scots on here asking about breeders in Scotland and everyone seemed to think there were none
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
NATURALIS
Adult

Default cant believe this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
That's ok I knew it was a reply to mine. I've seen quite a few Scots on here asking about breeders in Scotland and everyone seemed to think there were none
Thanks for reply to answer your question i think that because of the extra cost ie, heating ,green houses etc, i dont think that there are many people north of the border keeping large collections. Im lucky because i live half way up a hill with a very large south slopeing garden
Old 31-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
Thanks for reply to answer your question i think that because of the extra cost ie, heating ,green houses etc, i dont think that there are many people north of the border keeping large collections. Im lucky because i live half way up a hill with a very large south slopeing garden
That's handy to know. Do you list your hatchlings in the For Sale section on here or do you not advertise them? I saw a couple of people on here recently from the Edinburgh area seeking a UK bred tort but they appear to have gone elsewhere
Old 31-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #28
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
That's handy to know. Do you list your hatchlings in the For Sale section on here or do you not advertise them? I saw a couple of people on here recently from the Edinburgh area seeking a UK bred tort but they appear to have gone elsewhere
hi,because of the increased risk of theft im very carefull, many years ago i had all my tortoises stolen some i had since i was a kid. so these days i dont advertise them . My own views are that tortoises should only be sold to people that are prepared to keep them as close to nature as possiable not just a pet thats put out on a sunny day. Hope i dont affend anyone on here like i said this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 31-03-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 31-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #29
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I hadn't thought about theft.

I don't think anyone will be offended as that's a great outlook to have and really what everyone should be aiming to do
Old 31-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #30
rolleyparnell
Hatched

wow! you must have got plenty of weeds in your garden to feed this missing hatchling for 9 months!

Thanks for the warning i think i will keep my hatching in rabbit cage outside (with hole for drainage!!) until they big enough to go in my new enclosure next year!

5 Hermann name Bailey, Freddie, George, Minnie and Willow
4 rabbits and 5 Guinea pigs
3 mad cats and 1 dog (hearing dog for the deaf)
3 ferrets
2 daughters and 1 husband

rolleyparnell is offline   Reply With Quote