Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
They way I looked at it, Helen, is if someone came on asking for advice and I gave them the advice offered I would be hung, drawn and quartered.

I stand by what I said - I think it's rotten advice. It doesn't need tweaking it needs an overhaul. However, I agree that there could be scope for improving it.
Then improve it for us all now. Give it the overhaul you think is desired. I think the framework is there and bases are well covered. I've seen caresheets that only have a sentence each for the key areas or don't have them covered at all, such as no mention of uv, temps, supplements. Diet can sometimes be merely fruit and vegetables, also not mentioning the need for access to water is also something I've seen often over the years.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
ibizathetort
Adult

My first care sheet was similar but a bit more basic I don't think that one is too bad
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I think my very first post said that it had good bits....

As I said, if that advice had been given on this forum it would be slaughtered. I've already said the areas I think need improving. Writing my own caresheet is pointless as I have no contact with the company and we all know the areas that need improving.

Next time someone says they keep their torts in a terrarium with beech chips as a substrate, feeding dandelions as the staple food and only bathing for 10 minutes occasionally, then I'll just tell them their set up isn't too bad.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I think my very first post said that it had good bits....

As I said, if that advice had been given on this forum it would be slaughtered. I've already said the areas I think need improving. Writing my own caresheet is pointless as I have no contact with the company and we all know the areas that need improving.

Next time someone says they keep their torts in a terrarium with beech chips as a substrate, feeding dandelions as the staple food and only bathing for 10 minutes occasionally, then I'll just tell them their set up isn't too bad.
I'd like to think you'd get some help and advice if you did make such a declaration on this forum. Afterall a forum is about learning and sharing ideas. You'd perhaps get slaughtered on another forum but not this one.

But yes comparatively speaking the advice isnt that bad but there's room for a little improvement here and there. But tortoises would surely suffer more on other caresheets more so than this one.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
I'd like to think you'd get some help and advice if you did make such a declaration on this forum. Afterall a forum is about learning and sharing ideas. You'd perhaps get slaughtered on another forum but not this one.

But yes comparatively speaking the advice isnt that bad but there's room for a little improvement here and there. But tortoises would surely suffer more on other caresheets more so than this one.

Helen xx
Well, I was using "slaughtered" metaphorically! Hehe.

You are probably right that tortoises would suffer more on other caresheets. But I'm sure you would agree that we shouldn't be measuring success by how much a tortoise suffers. We should be aiming for the very best. However. I'm preaching to the converted. I understand what you mean, ie. There are worse caresheets around.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Nik it could be an idea for you to focus on the caresheet for your interview
Perhaps type out an new caresheet suggesting soil and plants which are edible and tort friendly for enclosures, also include stuff for outdoor enclosures like gravel, plant pots etc...
You are also knowledgeable on tortoises which is a benefit to their customer service
I work for this garden centre http://www.otternurseries.co.uk/ and one of my questions when interviewing a person is "What do you think that you can bring to the business?"
If they'd done their homework and prepared documentation for the interview, I'd think they were very keen for the job

Last edited by Anita Sayles; 07-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Anita Sayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
freakinmental
Juvenile

guys stop arguing, i didnt ask about it to start an arguement, just so that if i do get the job there i can advise them another way!

Alan not sure what speices they are gonna be selling as only going off the website at the moment.

freakinmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the best advice would be to send them here :O)
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinmental View Post
guys stop arguing, i didnt ask about it to start an arguement, just so that if i do get the job there i can advise them another way!

Alan not sure what speices they are gonna be selling as only going off the website at the moment.
No one is arguing, just discussing. Itd be a boring forum if everyone agreed. . I'm sure Helen aint arguing either....I hope! Anyway, if it came to an argument I would lose, so I know better.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Pussygalore
Adult

I certainly wouldn't say at an interview, if you want the job, that their care sheet is 'rubbish', you could come accross as a 'know it all' and probably not get the job. No one especially a shop likes to think their new staff think's they know more than them, you'd need to be settled in your job and suggest things gradually once you'd got to know them. I know from hubby's previous interviews you never 'tread on the toes' of those that have been there a long time, none of us would like that, after all there is no written hard and fast rules about the care of torts, its all down to personal choice.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote