Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 18-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
freakinmental
Juvenile

Question what to do?

On Saturday night I was shopping in Asda when I slipped on a offer sign that had fallen down and was on the floor, my right leg shot out in front of me and I landed on my left knee and elbow. I got up straight away and gave my knee a rub, Ian picked the sign up and moved it of the floor so no-one else would slip. I seemed ok at first but a few mins later my back started to hurt, I reported it and a manager filled in an accident report, I went home took painkillers and left it at that....

Yesterday I was still in quite a bit of pain so I went to the walk in they said I have soft tissue damage to my back but were more concerned about the pain in my neck and the cramp/tingling down my arm and in my fingers... their professional advice was to go to A'n'E and get it checked out but my neck pain and arm symptoms are nothing new as I have had them on and off for about 5yrs but they seemed worried!!!

I didnt go to A'n'E as it was already getting on to 8pm and poor Ian hadnt sat down from work or had his tea yet.
Right the thing is everyone, friends and some family are saying to make a claim but my sister doesnt want me to as she works in the asda store where it happened....

What do you lot think I should do....
Should I go to A'n'E and get my neck checked properly even though it has been like that for years, just incase????
Should I make a claim????

freakinmental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Hmm, I dunno. I can see your sister's point of view as she has to work there but you wouldn't actually be claiming against Asda, it would be their insurers.

The tingling pain you've had for years is possibly nerve pain due to repetitive strain like sitting in the same position when using the computer.

We have a hole in the pavement which is there because of a botch job by the gas board and I reported it to the council. Meanwhile a child tripped in the hole, fell against another kid on a bike who scored my car with the handlebars. I did think about claiming but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of who was to blame etc
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I would get it checked at preferably your own doctor, far less of a wait, but as to putting in a claim that I think is down to you and your concience. All these claims, some of which are'nt really needed ( not meaning yours) are what put's our insurance up, you could speak to Asda after the doctors/hospital result and see is they offer anything before going down the claim avenue. I read in the mail yesterday that the government get money from companies that deal with claims, personally I think they should be giving some back rather than getting more. To be honest if you've had problems before then wouldn't it be better getting a referal from your gp for the hospital?
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

The partner of one of my husband's colleagues slipped over on an icy path into Tesco almost three years ago. She broke both arms and wrists, needed numerous operations and couldn't work for over a year. The claim is still ongoing.....

I agree that it's worth getting yourself checked out but I'd think long and hard whether you're prepared to go through a possible lengthy claim.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
suttysue
Sub Adult

Mmmmmmmm hard that one, well it is for some of you! I believe that all these claims are making life so difficult as everywhere you go and everything we do is now governed by 'Health & Safety Rule & regs.
What happened to those misshaps/accidents in life. We are all claim claim claim, blame blame blame.
Com'on folks give life a chance dont milk it.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

I would probably go and have get checked out.. but about the claim.. you wouldn't have a leg to stand on (Sorry couldn't help it).
No but really its not worth claiming for.. is it?
Old 18-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

'If you can't beat em join em' Claim, claim, claim

Its not personal to anyone it's a big company, they can afford it

I keep getting dodgy food from Asda SO CLAIM! LOL

Hope your not in too much pain though, hope you feel better soon xxx

Last edited by Easter Bunny; 19-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Sorry to hear about this Nik...
I would def see your GP and ask him what his opinion would be about something like this.
There are also lots of legal ads on the tv about claiming back something when it's not your fault. However they could say that the pain/discomfort you feel is just an old injury that you aggrevated and existed long before the slip. Crafty buggas...
Maybe speak to Citizens Advice, they have legal people there and their time is free.
Hope you start to feel better soon, so sorry to hear xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Watermelon
Adult

They arent gunna say much at A&E....it'd be here take some paracetamol..... it'd have to be a physio who would give you any specific soft tissue diagnoses but good luck cos its 2/3 months wait on nhs to see one! £30 + an hour for private. I think I'd go to A&E just in case cos you'd never know Nik..... I'm not sure really Nik cos you havent suffered a serious injury... espec with your arm injury and neck going on for 5 years unless the fall has made it worse......

Go to A&E and ring up a solicitors for advice they'll tell you if they think you have a claim or not. Its gotta be worth it money wise for them to take a claim on though. Just depends I suppose. Hope you feel better soon.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote