Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
kev71
Incubating

Exclamation vet needed to microchip

I live in Runcorn Cheshire, and need a Tunisian spur thigh microchipping, can anyone recomend a vet that has experience in microchipping tort's in the north west area, Kev
kev71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Box girl
Sub Adult

I would not microchip as the microchip is very large like putting a mobile phone in your leg! Only lasts 10 years nad has to have the right reader.
We 'fingerprint' take a close up and clear photo of the plastron with a measurement this will act as good indentification of your animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev71 View Post
I live in Runcorn Cheshire, and need a Tunisian spur thigh microchipping, can anyone recomend a vet that has experience in microchipping tort's in the north west area, Kev

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Whilst I completely agree with you Box_girl (sorry don't know your name) you have to have them chipped if you want to get the certificates for any offspring. Not ideal, but thats how it is.

Sorry can't help you on a vet in Cheshire Kev as I travel down to Cannock to Hannah Bould when I need a vet. There is a tortoise vet in Tarporley, but not been myself. I have also heard there is one near my way (Congleton), but will have to find the address for you and again I haven't used her myself.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Hi Kev

These might help you

Iona Hunt
The Veterinary Clinic
George Hunt and son
Dickens Lane
Poynton
Stockport
SK 12 1NU
01625 850086
iona@vets4pets.co.uk

Noel Walker
The Wayside Veterinary Surgery
2 Long Lane
Chester
CH2 2PD
01244 570364
noelatzoo@aol.com

Molly Varga
Cheshire Pet
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
CW4 8AB
01477 544544

Gabby Drake, Caroline Rice, Emily Fletcher, Richard Jones, Micheal Stanford, Suzetta Billington
Birch Heath Veterinary Clinic
Birch Heath Rd
Tarporley
Cheshire
CW6 9UU
01829 733777
birchheath@btconnect.com

Not in any special order. Good luck.

Old 27-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Henry-flash
Adult

Molly Varga! That was the one, thanks for digging out the addres, Wendy

Old 27-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Box girl
Sub Adult

All you need if you wish to get certs is a microchip number. There is nothing in the rules which states the microchip needs to be in the animal. I buy teh chip but will not risk the life of my tort by putting it in. I have known torts die through microchipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry-flash View Post
Whilst I completely agree with you Box_girl (sorry don't know your name) you have to have them chipped if you want to get the certificates for any offspring. Not ideal, but thats how it is.

Sorry can't help you on a vet in Cheshire Kev as I travel down to Cannock to Hannah Bould when I need a vet. There is a tortoise vet in Tarporley, but not been myself. I have also heard there is one near my way (Congleton), but will have to find the address for you and again I haven't used her myself.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

its not just for the paperwork, the small and its very small risk of something going wrong is tiny compared with maybe getting your animal back should it be stolen! Sarah I'm sure will vouch for that, a chip wouldn't be any good if its in your house and not in the animal. Providing the tort is big enough and not the size that Defra suggest then there's very little risk and if you're going to breed you can wait untill the tort is adult before having it done and has nice big fat legs. Neither of my adult spurs made a fuss or even pulled away while it was being done but they are both big and I'm sure a smaller tort would feel it far more.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Henry-flash
Adult

I think you will find that is incorrect. Contact DEFRA and they will tell you the chip has to be inside the tortoise it relates too. I know it has been discussed on here before, probably a few years ago now.

I am not a big fan of microchips, but my breeding adults do have them, simply because I want to be able to get paperwork for their offspring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
All you need if you wish to get certs is a microchip number. There is nothing in the rules which states the microchip needs to be in the animal. I buy teh chip but will not risk the life of my tort by putting it in. I have known torts die through microchipping.

Old 27-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
swad1000
Adult

The tortoise has to be micro chipped, if it isn't in the tort it isn't micro chipped.

Its illegal to apply for SSC with out this being done by merely purchasing a chip and claiming it has been done, and quite frankly anyone doing this needs a knock on the door from Defra and there tortoises removing.

I agree that 100mm is to small in my opinion, but thats not a reason to break rules that are there to protect against illegal trafficking of tortoises.

And chips last longer than 10 years, the one in our cat had been in 16 years and still worked when he had his injections 6 months before he died.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

I was going to say I didn't know there was a life limit on a chip, I assumed that it would last forever, they don't say you have to have them removed and a new one put in. I'm not sure how they work but I assume that its the reader that has the battery or power and the chip is just like a barcode, well as far as I know barcodes don't have a time limit. Am I wrong ? and I thought that it has to be in the animal otherwise that would make the cert invalid as well as the chip being absolutely useless.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote