Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
finchy
Incubating

Default Outside electrics

Just wondering how people on here got heaters\lighting installed in sheds and greenhouses.

Is this something that you have done yourselves? Or did you get an electrician in?
Do you have any special trip switches? Have you ever had any problems with water getting in ?

Also does anyone use the tube type heaters? If so are they effective? Are they expensive to run?

Any pics of lighting or heaters?

Thanks all
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

What i did was my dad drilled a hole from my garage (in door frame) and threaded cable through it, fitted a plug, job done.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
swad1000
Adult

If you just run what is in effect an extension lead, you can do that yourself.

If you have a permanent supply of power put in, it must be done by a competent person, and checked by a qualified electrician.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi, yes I got electricity installed outside. I got an electrician in but he let me do the donkey work which was digging a trench and burying a plastic pipe in the garden. He then came and put a wire down it. Inside the (humans) house he installed a sensitive trip switch (RCD)which cuts out the electricity if there is a small change in the current, like would happen if water was getting in. It's only tripped once and I re-set it no problem.

Outside I've got a waterproof box (with RCD again) and appliances inside the hut run off a cable that comes through a hole in the hut. The hardware such as the waterproof box, and plastic pipe and the various bits do not cost very much. Its time of the electrician. Generally you cannot just run a cable through the garden as its a hazard but for a short distance they might install a cable 10 feet off the ground.

Its not really a DIY job in most cases and there is legislation covering the work.

Personally I think its a great advantage having that electricity outside. I do have to watch that my hut is genuinely watertight for safety, but if water did get in the switch would trip. I had an idea to have a basking lamp in the coldframe for those dull days but I haven't done it as the coldframe I have makes no attempt at being water tight but some styles of coldframe would be OK.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

We had electric put in the shed 3 years ago now. I had to dig a 2ft deep, 1 ft wide trence all the way up the garden and lay armoured cable in it. We then had an electrician in to install the supply. It runs off a switch from the main circuit, but has a seperate consumer unit in the shed, so it can be isolated as needed. It can also now be broken off to run to the new buildings I'm putting up there (greenhouse and polytunnel).

I wouldn't feel safe just having a normal cable running up the garden.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have a go at most stuff including electrics but I'm not keen on it at all.

BTW Aldi are doing outdoor electrical sockets on Monday

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_9477.htm
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
finchy
Incubating

Thanks all. – Sounds like a job for the professionals to me .
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote