Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
MoggyW
Egg

Default Worried!

Hello all,

I wonder if someone can help.

My tortoise Alan (some kind of Mediterranean, likely Tunisian), literally bounced out of hibernation this year, and has been eating more than ever and running around full of energy.

However, I've just noticed these white spots (blisters? Holes from the inside?) on his belly and spreading to his back.

I can't think how long they've been there, but they've def got worse and now I'm worried!

Any ideas? I can't seem to post a pic, but they look like little holes in the innermost layer of his shell.
MoggyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
Yvonne G
Hatched

Without a picture I doubt we'll be able to help you. I've see what looks like little white squiggly lines in the keratin on the shell. Could this be what you're seeing? They're in the shape of a squiggly circle?

If so, it's nothing to worry about. You see this a lot on perfectly healthy, growing mediterranean tortoises.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
MoggyW
Egg

Ah you're describing them exactly - white little squiggly circles! I've googled what you say though and yes, it looks exactly like "keratin stress" and he is indeed growing really really fast.

It makes a lot of sense because he eats EVERYTHING and I'm worried my hubby is overfeeding him. I just give him weeds only, but hubby is supplementing with "tortoise food" and shop bought salad!

I will certainly be doing some more research into this!

Thanks so much for you reply, I think that may be mystery solved already

I'm not sure how to post a pic up, my membership says I can't!
MoggyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Well done Yvonne! (like a blind fold quiz)

Moggy it's quite important you establish what species / subspecies you have. Tunisian's for example do not hibernate.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoggyW View Post
Ah you're describing them exactly - white little squiggly circles! I've googled what you say though and yes, it looks exactly like "keratin stress" and he is indeed growing really really fast.

It makes a lot of sense because he eats EVERYTHING and I'm worried my hubby is overfeeding him. I just give him weeds only, but hubby is supplementing with "tortoise food" and shop bought salad!

I will certainly be doing some more research into this!

Thanks so much for you reply, I think that may be mystery solved already

I'm not sure how to post a pic up, my membership says I can't!
Nobody can post pictures on here directly, it has to be done from an image hosting site such as Flickr or similar sites. This is another that most people on here use I think > https://imgur.com/

Last edited by Alan1; 03-05-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

A search for keratin stress on here reveals this, it sounds like what it is right enough. A good picture of it in this thread > http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...keratin+stress
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote