Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
GemmaR
Egg

Default Micro chipping

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows very much about getting tortoises micro chipped? I just called our vet who quoted £40-£50 per tortoise. They weren't sure if there was a minimum size tortoise that could be chipped either. She also said that they would have to be sedated first which I was a bit worried about - is all that the case?
Thanks for your help!
Gemma
GemmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Gemma,

The cost varies from vet to vet unfortunately. Annex A Hatchlings are sold with microchips from 60mm - so tiny, poor things. So I'm sure your torts are bigger. I have waited for mine to have chunkier legs.

I've always bought the mini micro-chip for mine, which is quite a lot smaller than the standard chip, so I would suggest asking your vet if they'll provide this or order in for you.
You can look them up on micro-ID, the supplier's website.

I've never had any tortoises sedated for chipping, though an exotic vet told me they'd do it under general anaesthetic and I was quoted £120 per tort. Hmmm....

Any good vet (or nurse qualified in chipping exotics) can do it easily with a good wipe down of the area to be chipped, usually the back leg or now some vets do it in the area under the tail. The chip is quickly and easily implanted and then surgical glue used. Make sure they run the chipping reader over the chip before inserting to check it picks up the chip and ask them to do so again once the chip has been implanted.

Most vets charge about £30+ for the consultation fee plus around £15+ for the chip, but if you're getting more than one done, ask if they can all be done under the one consult fee.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaR View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows very much about getting tortoises micro chipped? I just called our vet who quoted £40-£50 per tortoise. They weren't sure if there was a minimum size tortoise that could be chipped either. She also said that they would have to be sedated first which I was a bit worried about - is all that the case?
Thanks for your help!
Gemma
I would suggest you change your vet, as they dont seem to know enough about tortoises. None of my tortoises have ever been sedated. Ok most were adult, as I dont think any small tortoise should be microchipped unless you are going to sell them.
They dont have to be microchipped unless you are going to sell them:0)
Or if you give them away, you only microchip if money exchanges hands:0)
I think I only paid something like £10 per tortoise. But only because I was going to breed from them.
The hatchlings I kept, none have micro chips:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

I have had 3 of mine done and they were not sedated, as Emma said, it should be easily popped into the hind leg and then glued as tortoise skin isn't like mammal skin and doesn't heal as quickly. My vet charges about £30. I also wouldn't do it if your tort is still tiny. My vet uses a mini chip.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

£15 each round and here and a 10% discount if I took 4. None sedated, all fine.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
Stellanne
Hatchling

I am not a fan of chipping......foreign bodies in tiny legs. x X X xhugs X X x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes I think rationalise the reasons as it isn't necessary to microchip unless selling. (it must hurt..?) pheeew weee. CB
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
Kighill
Incubating

Mine are to small to chip (Hermanni Hermanni aged around one year) but I still think it is a positive thing to have done. Although they cannot legally be sold without paperwork the general public on the whole would not know this.
The microchip confirms the identity and last/current custodian should the tortoise be lost and subsequently found.
Should you be fortunate enough to have a large tortoise habitat and your prized treasure burrows down, you can then use a scanner to try and locate the tortoise.
However like I said not a chance of me having mine done whilst they are so so tiny.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kighill View Post
Mine are to small to chip (Hermanni Hermanni aged around one year) but I still think it is a positive thing to have done. Although they cannot legally be sold without paperwork the general public on the whole would not know this.
The microchip confirms the identity and last/current custodian should the tortoise be lost and subsequently found.
Should you be fortunate enough to have a large tortoise habitat and your prized treasure burrows down, you can then use a scanner to try and locate the tortoise.
However like I said not a chance of me having mine done whilst they are so so tiny.
Legally you are now supposed to chip (if selling) from hatching. Which I think is disgusting as the size of their legs are so thin and small. They now are supposed to use nano chips.
And even if your tortoise is lost, it does depend on the person finding it, taking it to a vet who has the same scanner to read chip.
Just as many tortoises are never returned as returned even with chips.
It is far better to make sure your garden in tortoise proof, than chipping them if you are not going to sell:0) Far better for the tortoise for sure. As chips can move within their bodies.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Legally you are now supposed to chip (if selling) from hatching. Which I think is disgusting as the size of their legs are so thin and small. They now are supposed to use nano chips.
And even if your tortoise is lost, it does depend on the person finding it, taking it to a vet who has the same scanner to read chip.
Just as many tortoises are never returned as returned even with chips.
It is far better to make sure your garden in tortoise proof, than chipping them if you are not going to sell:0) Far better for the tortoise for sure. As chips can move within their bodies.
So agree with everything Sandy has said!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote