Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise
Default High Temperatures and Activity

Teddy has been going out in her new enclosure for several weeks now, with the recent hot spell I was expecting Teddy to be full of energy and be running round her home. She seems to want to hide in the shade Is this normal??

Other posts I have read tell me Tortoises love the sun and go mad running round like a looney..Teddy is not like this at all. Ideas please

I feel as though she would be happier indoors with her MegaRay lamp on, she seems far happier with her lamp.

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Teddy is a young tort/baby. This can have something to do with hiding away, getting used to another enviroment and feeling totaly safe is another. I recall my first 2 Hermans not staying out much for a while, most of there first summer was missed, they trust there enclosure now, and can be out nearly all day. Presuming the tort is well, it can take time with some. When young and weather warm bathing can be important.
Old 25-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

Some of mine do this too Claire, they bask for a while then dig down.....
Old 26-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Pat
Egg

Claire, my 2 hermanns (10 months old now) did not move around much when I first put them into their new outdoor enclosure but just hid under some of the plants. Now they have been out a few more times and have even stayed out all night when it was really warm (it is secure from predators), they explore every nook and cranny! It does seen to tire them out though and often dig in for bed around 5 or 6 pm. I am not experienced, but it could be as others have said, they need to feel secure. In the wild they would be easy pickings if they were out in the open too much.

Hope this helps x
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

My adults all hide from the heat of the mid-day sun. My youngest, who's 4 is hidden away most of the time outside too.
Old 26-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
jayne2942
Hatchling

My torts are now adjusting to there outside home,she hardly ate yesterday but this afternoon after her bath she had a good feed,with the outside temps changing from hot days to now a cold day today my male went under his lights in his outside home but she decided to go straight to bed,i will be turning their lights off at 8.oo and if its cold in the morning i will put them on and see how it goes.
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote