Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
SpurThighUK
Egg

Smile Wind Down Question :-)

Hi all, I'm braving hibernation and will be hibernating Agnes, Mojo and Peaches using the fridge method. Keeping Frankie up as she was ill earlier this year, Bill is underweight so he is being overwintered too.

I'm using TPG's wind down method and wanted to ask if it's right that I give the tortoises final bath two days before hibernation, or if I bath the tortoise on their final day before going into the fridge.

"Week 4+ No Food
This is the time when the tortoise needs to be cooled right down to prepare it to go
into hibernation. Turn off the background heating or place the tortoise in a cool frostfree
room. Give the tortoise its final bath two days before the end of the week,
making sure the tortoise is thoroughly dried. Providing it doesn’t pass faeces during
the final bath, continue without heating/lighting for a further two days in a frost-free
unheated room/outbuilding to cool the tortoise down completely, and aim to keep the
temperature at no higher than 10C (50F). Place the tortoise into its hibernation area
(box or fridge) on the last day of the week."

Many thanks,

Hope you're all well

http://berkshiretortoiseclub.weebly.com
SpurThighUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurThighUK View Post
Hi all, I'm braving hibernation and will be hibernating Agnes, Mojo and Peaches using the fridge method. Keeping Frankie up as she was ill earlier this year, Bill is underweight so he is being overwintered too.

I'm using TPG's wind down method and wanted to ask if it's right that I give the tortoises final bath two days before hibernation, or if I bath the tortoise on their final day before going into the fridge.

"Week 4+ No Food
This is the time when the tortoise needs to be cooled right down to prepare it to go
into hibernation. Turn off the background heating or place the tortoise in a cool frostfree
room. Give the tortoise its final bath two days before the end of the week,
making sure the tortoise is thoroughly dried. Providing it doesn’t pass faeces during
the final bath, continue without heating/lighting for a further two days in a frost-free
unheated room/outbuilding to cool the tortoise down completely, and aim to keep the
temperature at no higher than 10C (50F). Place the tortoise into its hibernation area
(box or fridge) on the last day of the week."

Many thanks,

Hope you're all well
It does not matter if they pass stools as they would be coming from the intestines (provided the first three weeks are done correctly) and not the stomach.
And temps need to be more like 5c not 10c. 10c is not cold enough.
Try www.thetortoisehouse.com or www.tortoises.net for good hibernation instructions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Olly personally I don't ever bath any outdoor torts (humidity etc is enough) and never any indoor torts if they don't have at least some warmth or acceptable temps on them / under lights to dry off completely. I would be a little cautious bathing at 10 - 12degrees then into fridge. not sure if this answers what you are asking sorry ! and if they poop all the better probably....before the final final wind down....CB
Old 18-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. My suggestion is that any bath within a few days of going down for hibernation should be with tepid water. You don't want to stimulate the tortoise by putting it into warm water. To be honest I'm not really in favour of warm baths before that either.
Old 18-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

I never bathe in the last week, no point in ruining what work has already been done:0)

Old 18-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

im a little surprised it is suggesting bathing at this stage tbh, surely it would depend on temps but I suppose it has refered to 10 -12'c which isn't cold if tort was wet and or drying off but I personally wouldn't risk it. so many time temps have dropped quick.
Olly we know you are expert anyway so I guess you will guage it as you see fit, CB
Old 18-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
im a little surprised it is suggesting bathing at this stage tbh, surely it would depend on temps but I suppose it has refered to 10 -12'c which isn't cold if tort was wet and or drying off but I personally wouldn't risk it. so many time temps have dropped quick.
Olly we know you are expert anyway so I guess you will guage it as you see fit, CB
And I have never dried off any tortoise of mine after bathing:0)

Old 18-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hibernation guides do usually refer to frequent bathing but I think this is over-stated.

I don't think they need to be absolutely dry either. We had a discussion here before about using slightly damp substrate and how this would help the tortoise to lose as little water as possible whilst hibernating.
Old 18-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
SpurThighUK
Egg

Thanks all, you've answered my question

http://berkshiretortoiseclub.weebly.com
SpurThighUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

good luck Olly, keep us posted wont you, CB