Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 21-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Default Advice on selling hatchlings please ...

I have valid Article 10's in my name to sell my one year old and two year old Testudo graeca hatchlings.

My questions are ....
1. how much do you think I should ask for them?
2. I never give out my address and worry about selling them should a dishonest person find out where I am The Article 10 obviously has my address on ... so how do I ensure I stay safe and not open myself up to theft in the future?
3. any advice on best places to sell them? I would hate to find them re-homed in a few years! How do I find that genuine owner?
4. what do I do if they do not follow the care instructions given with the tortoise, and come back to me after months / years with a dead/poorly tortoise through no fault of mine? If they are healthy when sold how do I ensure they do not blame me for any ill health and demand another or money back?

Any other advice welcome!
Old 21-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Im glad you have asked these questions Wendy as I have been having the same thoughts!

Re the address problem, some of my torts certs have the adress physically cut out of the A10 (leaving a hole) & in future I think you can also request defra leave off your address as I also noticed on my mother of the hatchlings theres only the breeders name - no address & no hole.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I think as long as the number is there the address can be covered or 'painted' over however I always found that honesty and trust were the best way of finding homes. I never had any trouble with any of my buyers and most if not all came to mine, both to meet me and see how the torts are cared for. Many of my buyers have kept in touch and I often get emails asking for the odd bit of advice and personally I love to hear about any of my 'babies' By talking to the interested person on the phone you can usually get a good idea of whether they are nice and I always tried to give as much imformation as poss including sending out a rather long care sheet to anyone interested, they then had the choice of getting back to me, many never bothered so maybe the detailed sheet put them off, (it was several pages long). You will never find a 'forever home' and just hope that the animal has a good loving home for as long as poss, no one can know the future and often peoples circumstances change through no fault of their own. If anyone wants to see my caresheet for ideas please feel free to pm me although it is for Ibera most of it could apply to others and I don't mind if someone wants to use it or bits of it.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote