Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
and1ek
Egg

Default RNS Leopard Tortoise

I need your advice guys!!!

I have a 12 year old Leopard who has RNS he has clear mucus coming from his nose and his eyes are watery, I have taken him to the vet where they prescribed a course of Fortum given every 72 hours. Also they prescribed Baytril to give orally, I have read many things that Batyril is not suitable for tortoises especially Leopards so I have only given him one dose as he started to get frothy in the mouth and thought he might be allergic to it so I am sticking just with the Fortum injections. I bath him twice a day and keep his house temperature to around 28-32 degrees he also has a UV light also which he can use if he wants. I have also started to use F10 in a nebuliser dosage 1ml of F10 to 100ml of water twice a day. He is still not improving and is not eating and sleeping lots. I have taken him back to the Vets and they say I am doing everying correct and thats all I can do. Can you guys help with anything else you think I should do to get him better, its been approx 5 weeks since RNS came on the scene. I have been bathing him in Reptoboost and feeding him with a tube.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

x
and1ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by and1ek View Post
I need your advice guys!!!

I have a 12 year old Leopard who has RNS he has clear mucus coming from his nose and his eyes are watery, I have taken him to the vet where they prescribed a course of Fortum given every 72 hours. Also they prescribed Baytril to give orally, I have read many things that Batyril is not suitable for tortoises especially Leopards so I have only given him one dose as he started to get frothy in the mouth and thought he might be allergic to it so I am sticking just with the Fortum injections. I bath him twice a day and keep his house temperature to around 28-32 degrees he also has a UV light also which he can use if he wants. I have also started to use F10 in a nebuliser dosage 1ml of F10 to 100ml of water twice a day. He is still not improving and is not eating and sleeping lots. I have taken him back to the Vets and they say I am doing everying correct and thats all I can do. Can you guys help with anything else you think I should do to get him better, its been approx 5 weeks since RNS came on the scene. I have been bathing him in Reptoboost and feeding him with a tube.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

x
yes its well known that leopard tortoise's can have a allergic reachion to baytril , i would stop using it , the fortum injection's should sort it , the f10 your using is also alittle high mix try 500/1 ,its very strong and can effect them if its used to strong. hope this help's

Last edited by NATURALIS; 05-08-2011 at 05:28 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I would also try regularly wiping his front legs with diluted F10 as they wipe away any nasties from their noses and mouths with their front legs. What substrate are you keeping him on?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
and1ek
Egg

Thank you I will weaken the dosage, I am using F10 SCXD.

I started today wiping his front legs with F10 after reading that tip on this site.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
I would also try regularly wiping his front legs with diluted F10 as they wipe away any nasties from their noses and mouths with their front legs. What substrate are you keeping him on?
ooppp's!!! forgot to mention that bindi , good job your on the ball !!!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
and1ek
Egg

I keep him on mixture of top soil and sand.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Thank you I will weaken the dosage, I am using F10 SCXD.

I started today wiping his front legs with F10 after reading that tip on this site.
its also better if kept on paper that can be changed daily at least , the reason for this is to stop the infection from being picked back up again , together with wiping his front legs.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
and1ek
Egg

Would you recommend also keeping him on Hay, as I have put a wooden box in his house with some hay and he buries himself under the hay??

I really appreciate as always your help
Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I wouldn't personally, IMO you need something that you can change daily to stop the bacteria from spreading (it's all in the mucous I believe) so I'd shred some newspaper and like RFM has said use paper to line his enclosure rather than using soil and change daily
Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Would you recommend also keeping him on Hay, as I have put a wooden box in his house with some hay and he buries himself under the hay??

I really appreciate as always your help
to be honest i wouldn't , the hay contains dust which could be making the problem worse , new's paper is the best way to go until it's cleared up.
forgot to add keep the temps up a little even at night.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 05-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote