Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 21-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
crazychris2409
Egg

Default Pellets??

ive never used or fed any pellets to my tortoise, he has always been fed on weeds, grasses, plants and a good old mixture of things, i was just wondering if my tort is missing out not having the pellets, should i be feeding them and will it make any difference?

if i did feed my tort it, with the same diet he is on now how do i go about introducing it, should i mix it in with his greens or would you avoid them?
crazychris2409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
JoesMum
Hatchling

Many of us use pellets to supplement feed during the winter months when the weed supply is thin. Some torts love them and some won't touch them... every individual has it's own fussy tastes!

Some people feed every day, some a couple of times a week.

It is really up to you. If your tortoise is happy and healthy, believe in yourself and carry on as you are. There is no need to introduce pellets to the diet.

Me? I offer them (soaked) every day in a dish alongside the greens and most of the time Joe ignores them or only has a mouthful or two.

The first time I introduced them to Joe, he wolfed them down! Nowadays he seems to use them as a top up when he's eaten everything green. I use Komodo Fruit and Flower.
Old 21-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
kkenny
Sub Adult

I only introduced them as mine are under weigh else I wouldnt have. They diet you have is excellent. I wouldnt worry

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

I fed a weed/green based diet for over 20 years before being introduced to a pelleted diet over 10 years ago. I was very cautious to use this diet in the beginning for many reasons but I was having terrible luck with a green based diet alone. I don't know what I'd do without a pelleted diet. you do have to be sure to use a complete pelleted diet if you do decide to go that route.

I currently keep 17 species of tortoise and some lizards that I feed the pelleted diet almost exclusively and the results are fantastic.

Do a search of 'pellet' on this forum and you will get tons of input. I've posted some nice threads with photos of my own success using a pelleted diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris2409 View Post
ive never used or fed any pellets to my tortoise, he has always been fed on weeds, grasses, plants and a good old mixture of things, i was just wondering if my tort is missing out not having the pellets, should i be feeding them and will it make any difference?

if i did feed my tort it, with the same diet he is on now how do i go about introducing it, should i mix it in with his greens or would you avoid them?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:

[COLOR="Indigo"]Believe me, your tortoise is not missing out on not having pellets. What you have been feeding is natural green food, you can't get better than that. Pre Alpin is the only one I would recommend for a young tortoise but other folks feed different brands and find them helpful. It is entirely up to you but sounds as if your tortoise is fine as it is.[/COLOR]
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Pre Alpin isn't pellets of course, it contains dried weeds but is mostly just hay. It comes loose or compressed into a cob
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
I feed pellets twice a or thrice a week soaked and mixed with Pre Alpin. I use less pellets when mixed with Pre Alpin so do it three times a week, if I used only pellets I would feed them twice a week. I feed bagged salad or any weeds that I can get on the othjer days. My torts are not keen on Pre Alpin on it's own.

If you feed 'greens' make sure they are not the wrong greens
Old 22-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

always very contrversial, however if you are finding it hard to get enough variety in a weed/plant diet in the winter (not hibernating) then at least by using a good pellet you are giving your tort all it needs. I use Pre Alpine mixed with alternates of Nutrazu and Exotic leaf, all of which can be sourced from private sellers on here, I always add greenery as well, in the summer months the pellets won't be needed if the torts get outside. Providing an adequate green diet alone needs a lot more than a few dandelions and a bag of florretes.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Providing an adequate green diet alone needs a lot more than a few dandelions and a bag of florretes.
true, and though not impossible to find a good range of weeds, they can be hard to get hold of if living in a city
Old 22-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

basically though if you're confident that you are providing a good enough green diet then leave it at that, if you have any doubts or are worried then adding a few good pellets won't do any harm and could be beneficial and also less of a worry. Pellets can be a great help to those who maybe don't have the time to go weed picking, grow enough or simply want an easier way of feeding, there's nothing wrong in being one of those owners.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote