Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 15-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Buells
Incubating

Default Help please! Eggs

My Hermanns has just started laying eggs! She has laid 4 now and still going. She is in her greenhouse on a pile of top soil. I have no incubator and no clue what to do with them! Any advise greatly received. Thankyou
Buells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
paulus
Hatched

If you have a spare heat mat and thermostat you could construct your own temp incubator from a polystyrene box. Put the eggs in open boxes with vermiculite in them and some tubs if water for humidity
Well that's the start anyway

Don't turn the eggs over at all and light mark the top point with a pencil to show the top
1.0.0 guinea pigs Rosie rip prince boy
0.0 rabbit baby rabbit RIP 23-9-2011
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Buells
Incubating

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately i dont have any of the things i need, not even a heat mat. I can go out tomorrow and find an incubator but i am not sure what to do with them tonight. The greenhouse is unheated, any temporary suggestions?
Old 15-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You can leave them where they are for a couple of days no problem. Well the first 24 to 48 hours you can turn the eggs, up until they start to chalk. So cleaning or washing them off is fine as long as your careful. Eggs can stay unheated for a week or so while you get or make your own incubator. Just place the eggs in a container with vermiculite, perlite or sand. Place the eggs half way into the medium you chose. You can mark the top with the date laid so you have a quick reference as to how old they are. Incubation temperatures should be 28 to 32C and humidity 70 to 80%. The lower the temperature, the more males you will get and the higher the temperature the more females you will get. Once you get or make your incubator you need to run it for 24 hours at least to make sure your temperatures are stable.

Danny
Old 15-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Buells
Incubating

Thankyou Dan. Tomorrow i shall sort out an incubator for them. It is ok then to leave them burried tonight and then move them,etc tomorrow? Should i wash them in tepid water? Should i be doing anything with the female? Should i bath her or just leave her alone tonight? She is still covering up the eggs. Sorry for all the questions!
Old 15-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Perfectly fine to move them tomorrow or the next day. Remember you should have the incubator set up and running for 24 hours to make sure your temperatures are stable. Tepid water is fine, just be aware when you wet the eggs they will be slimey and extremely slippery so be careful.
You can give her a good soak when she is finished with the covering of the nest.

Danny
Old 15-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Buells
Incubating

Thankyou for the advise, i`ve stopped panicking a bit now! Just hoping they are fertile No doubt loads more questions will be coming your way, Sorry
Old 15-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
paulus
Hatched

I'm learning all the time, good to know about being able to turn first 24/48 hours I've had a hell of a job when we had eggs digging them out with out allowing them to roll at all

Hope all gets well with the eggs, keep us posted
1.0.0 guinea pigs Rosie rip prince boy
0.0 rabbit baby rabbit RIP 23-9-2011
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Buells
Incubating

Will certainly keep you posted, was such a surprise, didn`t expect to be playing midwife antime soon!
Old 16-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Buells
Incubating

Qiuck update. Dug up 5 eggs this morning Mum is doing fine. She hashad a long soak and eaten loads. She is only 5 years old, which i have just read is very young to being laying eggs!