Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Suze65
Adult

Default Fed up with the election

This is not a rant, and I'm not interested in who votes what. I fully respect everyone is entitled to their opinion without being verbally abused or intimidated. But clearly many don't share that view, on social media I particular !
Something has gone badly wrong, if people can't express who they vote for without feeling intimidated. I don't want to start a debate about which party is wrong or right. I have been targeted on FB , before polling day, it was quite intimidating , how very dare they.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Stellanne
Hatchling

Sadly Suze that is the nature of FB. When you think about it, it could be a fantastic medium for all sorts of fabulous things, and in most cases it is. But I hear all too often bad things which are said and the unhappiness it causes.
Try working in a school. You only have to keep a child in at playtime to complete work, that in most cases the child has chosen not to do but preferred to disrupt everyone's else's learning, to be called every name under the sun by a variety of parents who think that is their right.
Now try telling those same parents that you don't believe their reason for keeping their child off school and they are straightaway threatening to go to the authorities because you are calling them a liar and they shouldn't be spoken to that way!!! X x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Sadly Suze that is the nature of FB. When you think about it, it could be a fantastic medium for all sorts of fabulous things, and in most cases it is. But I hear all too often bad things which are said and the unhappiness it causes.
Try working in a school. You only have to keep a child in at playtime to complete work, that in most cases the child has chosen not to do but preferred to disrupt everyone's else's learning, to be called every name under the sun by a variety of parents who think that is their right.
Now try telling those same parents that you don't believe their reason for keeping their child off school and they are straightaway threatening to go to the authorities because you are calling them a liar and they shouldn't be spoken to that way!!! X x xhugs x x x

Couldnt agree more, been there got the T shirt:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Sorry to hear you've been targeted in that way, Suze. I left FB a few years ago after becoming very disenchanted with it. Half the time I could tell that people would be making up posts just to give the impression their life was more interesting. It REALLY bugged me when someone would put a sad face and nothing more, to prompt loads of replies from people asking them what was the matter and were they okay.
We all have different opinions and I believe free speech and a healthy debate is good but there are plenty of idiots on Facebook who feel that they can be downright rude, insensitive and in your case, intimidating.
None of my kids are on FB, even the teens. I really am not a fan at all.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

My experience on FB is mostly good, because I only have real friends on there not everyone who sends a friend request. There was just one, who is now being edited out. But it hasn't just been on FB , it's in all the media,some people seem to have no respect for other people's opinions, and seem to think it's their right to say exactly what they want, as Stella said about parents. We shouldn't feel intimidated because we vote for one particular party, that being the party that won in a democracy. Although they are a minority of people, they seem to shout loud.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

it used to be that people kept who they were voting for to themselves and isn't that why voting booths are private, as for fb I only have my family and a couple of friends on there so have never had any trouble. Politics will always be a touchy subject and one well kept clear of if you don't want to have a debate/arguement and forums are worse than face to face talks as people say things they wouldn't normally say to another.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Stellanne
Hatchling

And also you can read the 'tone' of a written comment very differently depending upon your own mood!! I don't do FB, but that is personal choice, however, I do find that even on forums people can be intimidating and put you down if you don't agree with their views. X x x xhugs x x x
Old 15-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
And also you can read the 'tone' of a written comment very differently depending upon your own mood!! I don't do FB, but that is personal choice, however, I do find that even on forums people can be intimidating and put you down if you don't agree with their views. X x x xhugs x x x
I completely agree.
Just as well this forum is a nice one.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

I agree, which is why this is one forum which has returning members x x x xhugs x x