Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
gjsmithers
Egg

Lightbulb need advice on heating my shed

Hello, i was hoping to pick your brains. I have converted a 12ft x 10ft shed into a tortoise enclosure but im having trouble maintaining the temperature.
I have uv lighting and basking lamps but need advice on a heater to maintain a stable heat. I did buy the tubular heater from sw shop but it is not powerfull enough.
What do you all use in your enclosures, or can you recommend something?

Any advice is greatly welcome

Regards
Grahame
gjsmithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsmithers View Post
Hello, i was hoping to pick your brains. I have converted a 12ft x 10ft shed into a tortoise enclosure but im having trouble maintaining the temperature.
I have uv lighting and basking lamps but need advice on a heater to maintain a stable heat. I did buy the tubular heater from sw shop but it is not powerfull enough.

Regards
Grahame
the best advice i can give you is insulation then more insulation . also a shed that size would need 2/3 6 ft tube heaters on a stat.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsmithers View Post

Regards
Grahame
Most keeper's insulate there shed's this is wall's, sides, roof and floor, then cover over with board. Mine is 8x6ft and has a 6ft tube for the night and back ground heat on a thermostat. Insulated with 40mm polystrene sheet's. Kingspan is one of the better one's.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
the best advice i can give you is insulation then more insulation . also a shed that size would need 2/3 6 ft tube heaters on a stat.
Got to ask as we are preparing for a shed, with another cold winter on the way and you being in Scotland Chris will have experience! How economical do you find it to run? With only having a handful thinking providing more indoor space is my answer over winter
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
Got to ask as we are preparing for a shed, with another cold winter on the way and you being in Scotland Chris will have experience! How economical do you find it to run? With only having a handful thinking providing more indoor space is my answer over winter
Well as you know electric these days isn't cheap , BUT !!!, if you insulate well from the start you will save lots of money, the only way to keep them inside during the winter is in a large viv, because inside house's the humidity levels are too low for red foots.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

like its been said insulation is the only way to go, I used polystyrene then bubble wrap followed by boarding (I was on a budget) but loft insulation is so cheap, that included the floor,walls,door and roof and we doubleglazed the window with perspex. After that we found a tubular the length of the shed was sufficient at night with two combined through the day the shed was 6x4. Sheds weren't designed for being warm so you can't have enough insulation it just won't work without it.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
jamestaylor18
Hatched

i think as mentioned insulation is the key! Also most heat will be lost thru the roof
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Sully Lover
Egg

I was going to get a shed for my Sullys, however I started to think long term. So in the end I have had built a ten foot by five foot, double brick enclosure. The walls were then insulated with three inch Kingspan covered by hardboard then perspex. The floor and ceiling are five inch Kingspan, floor is boarded over but I left the ceiling. I figured the UV would reflect back onto the Tortoises as it's covered in foil type stuff. I covered the floor in tarpaulin to stop the board getting soaked and ruined.

The point is, I was thinking long term, cost so went full out with the Kingspan. We were minus ten last night and I went out first thing this morning to check temps and it was 25 with just a tube heater on. Daytime temps without a Thermostat I could get well over 40! That's pretty amazing (btw i don't have it at 40!) just proving the point that the Kingspan was worth the money. Find a decent builders year. I paid twenty five quid per sheet and in total it cost me around a hundred and fifty quid. The double brick helps as well.
Sully Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Sounds a good job built, 25c is a good night time temp, my Leo's are in 21c at night, but they are wanting to go out, after a warm up during the day. They don't know there's a good 2-3 foot of snow surrounding them.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Sully Lover
Egg

Yeh, I'm pleased with it. I worry like hell when I'm in bed that they'll be okay in this weather! Their enclosure is hotter than our house! LOL

I opened their enclosure today it wasn't AS cold outside, they actually ventured out into the snow! My big Sully even ate some snow. They're not stupid though, they knew when they were cold and after ten minutes off they went back in and I locked them back up. I was just glad to see them out and stretching their legs.
Sully Lover is offline   Reply With Quote