Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
shaz
Sub Adult

Default hysterectomy

Has anyone got a tortoise that's had a hysterectomy? Just wondering how they were after etc. Think one of mine needs one as she has so many problems when laying due to he shape. She also prolapses everytime too. She does that wen she goes to the toilet thou. She sucks it back in at the mo thou but im thinking in time she might have problems with that too
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

If she's also having problems when pooing, than a hysterectomy won't really solve that much of the problem. If you keep her seperate, she shouldn't lay any more eggs. It usually takes the stimulation from a male or an aggressive female to make a female ovulate and produce eggs.

Danny
Old 24-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hi Shaz
I have a young Horsfield who had the operation several years ago and there has never been a problem with her and it is a relief not to have to worry about future eggs getting stuck. I have also had several females of various species in for re-homing who have never had any problems either.
I had another young Horsfield who had problems with eggs several times and I kept meaning for her to have a hysterectomy but somehow never did and sadly I lost her!
Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Hi Shaz
I have a young Horsfield who had the operation several years ago and there has never been a problem with her and it is a relief not to have to worry about future eggs getting stuck. I have also had several females of various species in for re-homing who have never had any problems either.
I had another young Horsfield who had problems with eggs several times and I kept meaning for her to have a hysterectomy but somehow never did and sadly I lost her!
Mary
Thats sad Mary. Out of interest do you have any idea how much it costs? We did have someone come to the health checks who had a female who'd had one ( brought her complete with the removed ovaries & follicles!) I think she had paid around £7/800 in total but she had lots of complications & I think that bill was total.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
shaz
Sub Adult

I thought once they got to a certain age they would lay, with or without a male being around. Could it be the other female then. Wen she gravid she tends to "ave a go on them all". So if I move her somewhere on her own, she should stop laying. Don't solve the problem of the prolapse thou, wen she goes to toilet. Think she may need that taking off before it causes her problems
Old 24-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
shaz
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Thats sad Mary. Out of interest do you have any idea how much it costs? We did have someone come to the health checks who had a female who'd had one ( brought her complete with the removed ovaries & follicles!) I think she had paid around £7/800 in total but she had lots of complications & I think that bill was total.
Some who I ave spoken to ave paid £1300. That's with after care checks too :-S
Old 24-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
tortydat
Sub Adult

As I say mine was a few years ago but I think it was around £350 but there were no complications. Tortoises still can produce eggs even if they are on their own though and once they have had egg problems in my experience they continue to do so.

Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
tortilicious
Hatched

Hi If using Stuart mcarther at holly house vets the cost of this operation is £450 plus vat and this includes any after car need, ive got a couple of tortoises who have had the operation and all went great
melx
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
shaz
Sub Adult

She's going in to see vet on Friday, so see what he suggests :-/
Old 25-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
shaz
Sub Adult