Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
burnt toast
Adult

Thanks for the info & photo Alan. Will keep my eyes peeled for those
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
indian star
Incubating

went to Lidl last night and got the last one BRILLIANT price thanks for letting us know.
indian star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

That coldframe looks great Alan! Is it flat pack when you buy it then? Do you think it would make a good outdoor enclosure for a young Horsfield?
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterNick View Post
That coldframe looks great Alan! Is it flat pack when you buy it then? Do you think it would make a good outdoor enclosure for a young Horsfield?
It usually comes into Ald in March for 4 days only, you need to watch out for them. It is flat packed but easy to assemble, clips together but clips are breakable so you need to be carefull. It wouldn't do as an outdoor enclosure, it's more a case of putting it in an outdoor enclosure for shelter/warmth/sleeping area. It can be screwed down to a base, e.g. blocks of wood like sleepers or just fenceposts laid on their side or even breeze blocks. that would stop it from blowing away. A gap can be left at the bottom so the torts can get in and out. UVB doesn't get through though (same with most coldframes and glass).

Lidl usually do one at about the same time but it's usually a more flimsy type, not the same as that
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

...... however, just noticed Aldi are doing this one so may not be doing the other one this year http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_17632.htm
Old 21-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Bought one of these thermometers the other day but then very stupidly binned the instructions! Can anyone who has got one please tell me which temp reading will be the temp of my viv? At first i thought it would be the IN one, however the OUT one is closer to my other thermometer by about 10 degrees! Please help! x
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestaylor18 View Post
Bought one of these thermometers the other day but then very stupidly binned the instructions! Can anyone who has got one please tell me which temp reading will be the temp of my viv? At first i thought it would be the IN one, however the OUT one is closer to my other thermometer by about 10 degrees! Please help! x
one of mine was reading the wrong way round last year. put the probe end with the wire on it in the freezer and leave the other end outside the freezer for a minute or two and then look at the screen to see which is which
Old 21-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Cre
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian star View Post
went to Lidl last night and got the last one BRILLIANT price thanks for letting us know.
Lol, I have 1 too but having a thick moment because I cant even set the date on it ha ha, will try again later!
Old 21-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
jamestaylor18
Hatched

i think the in temp is the temp of the display unit and the out temp is the probe end! Guess that makes sense as you would put the probe outside and have the unit inside! very confusing! But least i know now! Cheers guys x
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestaylor18 View Post
i think the in temp is the temp of the display unit and the out temp is the probe end! Guess that makes sense as you would put the probe outside and have the unit inside! very confusing! But least i know now! Cheers guys x
what I meant was that last year there was a batch of them sold that were displaying the wrong way round.. i.e. the wire with the hoop on the end was displaing the IN temp instead of the OUT and the actual unit itself was displaying the OUT instead of the IN. I got one of them

When it's not showing up much difference between them you have to do something drastic like sticking one end in the freezer to find out what's what