Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 15-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
shan5742
Egg

Default New to the game

OK I've thought about a tortoise for a good while but until now have done no research. I always like to read about and learn a decent amount about a subject before diving in so am no different with a pet.

Seems like I have come to the right place and have looked at some of the sticky's on first timers getting a tortoise and the enclosures sub forum.

I guess the search function would get me the answer but seen as tho I'm new I'm hoping I can get away with being a little cheeky and lazy.

The main reason I'm choosing now to actually pull the trigger and get a tortoise is that I've bought my own place and will be staying put for a decent amount of time. My partner is also very happy to have a tortoise in the house. We will be looking to add to the family in the near future tho, so I'm wondering about potential risks for newborns and pregnant women around tortoises. I know Lizards arn't a great idea around pregnant women and was hoping it isn't the same with tortoises.

Thanks in advance people!!!n
shan5742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Herpard
Adult

Welcome to the forums.

I have asthma and a lowered immune so I use hand sanitizer, the type that doesn't need water.

You will have to be careful around young children as they can be quite boisterous. Tortoise bites are very painful too.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Laura1988
Incubating

As long as you don't lick it (highly unlikely unless you are a child) and you wax your hands after touching it there are no risks to pregnant women. My young nephew helps me feed & bath mine and used to love sitting and stroking their shells, I just made sure he knew he was only allowed to put his hand in if I was with him and he had to wash his hands after. The only problem I can see with pregnant women/new baby is not making enough time to give the tortoise the time/attention. Good luck with the tortoise! Just to warn you they are addictive!
Old 16-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Tortoises can and do carry salmonella in their gut, so always wash your hands , and be extra careful with young children and when pregnant, but on the bright side I have managed to have two babies and bring them both up with no problems. Just wash hands.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
shan5742
Egg

Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys. I think it might be the other half that doesnt get enough attention from now on tho
shan5742 is offline   Reply With Quote