Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 19-05-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
LadyT
Egg

Default Is he Cold? Tort keeps hiding

My little Tort is only 6 weeks old and he is hiding most of the time. The area that he is hiding in is just over 74 degrees F. His basking area is 94 degrees. Is he cold? I want to wake him up but perhaps, its normal to sleep so much?

He was awake in a day for 3 short periods in which he ate. I just worry as I have never had a tortoise before.
LadyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
lynnedit
Hatched

Welcome again!
Hatchlings hide a lot. Your temps sound good (make sure you have an accurate way to measure them).
Your other post mentions you are going to change out your substrate; topsoil, or topsoil mixed with coir (they come as 'bricks' that you rehydrate with warm water) will help. You want the substrate moist underneath; it is OK if it dries out slightly on the surface. You will find that you have to add water and mix it in about once per week (due to the heat generated by the basking lights).
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

As has been said hatchings naturally hide a lot and sleep a lot ( they're babies)
Also if you have only just brought him home , it can take weeks for a tortoise to settle in to a new home, they don't like change , so give him time.
Keep him well hydrated , daily warm baths and available water, and moist substrate ( not wet )

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

That's very young for a hatchling to be sold unless you hatched him most are usually a good few month's, did it come from a breeder or shop and did you get the correct paperwork/certificate for it if its a species that needs it. Make sure it has a daily luke warm bath so it doesn't get dehydrated and don't break up its weed food to small as it needs to be able to tear it.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 19-05-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

Doesn't seem too young to me, she clearly is putting the work in and the wee guy will be just fine! What age breeders sell hatchlings is their choice, and it is not for us to judge!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

have you ever hatched any merl? it can take at least that long before you know that they are eating, drinking, gaining weight and are behaving normally, they can also still die up to a couple of months if they have hidden problems. Similar to selling a puppy before its old enough to be strong and thrive most good breeders wait untill the hatchlings are a few months old not weeks.
Old 19-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Merlin M
Adult

No, but i have raised puppies, the reason they have a set age is very different to torts!

If the breeder is happy with the torts health and the prospective owners ability then i see no issue. Particularly if you can still contact the breeder if there are any issues
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry Merl I didn't realise you knew the breeder, I must have missed that bit in the post.
Old 19-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

I don't sell my tortoises until they are at least three months old, and certainly wouldn't sell at six weeks.
This way there is less chance of them suddenly dying. Which they can easily do when young.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
LadyT
Egg

Oh dear sorry to open this up to a debate. I got him/her at a pet store and they said he is locally born from their breeder. I didn't realize that is too young to be sold. I'm totally new at this. I couldn't find an older one. We went up island as well.

Now I'm worried. I hope he/she will be okay.
LadyT is offline   Reply With Quote