Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2
Default Books for an eight month old?

I want to buy some books for my son & daughter in law to read to my grandson but don't know what to get, has anyone any idea's please?

Marg.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni...Flo, Dotty & Daisy, all December 2010.
German Shepherd Dog...Kiera.
filardimarg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Well the Very Hungry Caterpillar has had a mention on the forum this evening. We had it in board book version for the kids.

My kids loved books with buttons to press and different textures to feel at that age.

For stories, you can't go wrong with the books by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. We have all their books but I thnk they also do board book versions for younger children, such as The Gruffalo.
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webap...FU_MtAodpmsAfw

This one was another favourite in our house
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webap...rm=Board+books

I'm a huge book fan so enjoy searching for lovely stories for your grandson.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Wyannis
Hatchling

The Wibbly Pig books by Mick Inkpen are brilliant. All three of my kids loved them.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Lea272
Egg

I agree with Emma on the Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaeffer books, I really enjoy reading their stories to my Nephew (sometimes I question who is the bigger kid! ). And the board books are definitely a good idea at that age if you can get them - I remember my sister's horror when Harry discovered the satisfying sound of tearing paper in his regular books haha. He used to love textured books and noisy books too! Have fun searching!
Old 21-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Fred123
Hatched

I love Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaeffer but wouldn't buy them for an 8 month old. My 2 sons both loved the "that's not my........." range. That's not my robot, puppy, truck etc. They are tactile and repetitive so ideal for little ones.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
I love Julia Donaldson and Axel Schaeffer but wouldn't buy them for an 8 month old. My 2 sons both loved the "that's not my........." range. That's not my robot, puppy, truck etc. They are tactile and repetitive so ideal for little ones.
The story books are for toddlers rather than babies, I'd agree Fred, but they do simplified board books like the Gruffalo.
Tactile repetitive board books are wonderful for babies.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

I got some great ideas and books from 'The Book People' http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webap...051&langId=100

They go by reading age/ child's age so you know what level and they are so cheaply priced, have wonderful offers and lovely books.

At that age I loved reading 'Dear Zoo', 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar', 'The Tiger Who Came to Tea', 'Percy Park Keeper', 'Charlie and Lola', 'Guess How Much I Love You', 'we're Going on a Bear Hunt' .... oh what a lovely age that was

Happy Reading