Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
rug002
Egg

Default Do I get a new addition?

Hi,

I am just after some advice . . . I currently have a 4 year old Hermanns that I believe to be female (her photos have been on here a couple of times and the general consensus was female) . . I would really like to get another and was just wondering whether this would be a good idea?

I am looking to get another one from the same breeder that I got Pandora from and am currently looking at one that is about 7 months old. I will keep them apart for this year to have at least 6 months quarantine but I would really like the option of them living together in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it would seem that I appear to have caught the bug but don't want to do anything that would cause a problem to Pandora.

Thank You
rug002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Only problem is, in getting a 7 month old tort you would have no idea whether it would be a male or female. If it were a male then eventually he would grow up and get all hormonal and not give Pandora a minutes peace.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
gwenq
Hatchling

My opinion is, and it is just my opinion I'm sure others will disagree!!, I believe that torts should have their own enclosures, inside and outside. They are solitary animals and don't need or particularly like company. If they have the run of a very large garden then they could be together outside but if they are penned in then separate enclosures outside. They could be put together in a neutral area for breeding. I just think they are entitled to their own space to feel totally relaxed in.

I have two and they have their own separate indoor tables and separate outdoor enclosures. I would love to get two hermanni if I can ever find someone who sells genuine hermanni and I would keep them separately also.

It's just how I feel and I'm sure that other keepers keep them together but you will probably find that they will have problems at some point when they are kept together and I just don't want to stress my animals by keeping them like that.

Gwen
gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

It is much easier to find an adult male than a female. I'd suggest waiting until you can find out the sex of your tortoise for certain. If it turns out to be a male... it's going to be difficult to pair it up. If it is a female you can start with any hatchling because if it turns out to be a male you have a pair. If it turns out to be another female you can then try for a trio or get an adult male which is relatively easy.

The other option is to make sure any enclosure you keep them in is big enough so they can seperate themselves. If there is any aggression or affection it should only be brief if the enclosure is large enough and the line of sight can be broken up.

On the quarantene... use your own discretion. If it is coming from the same breeder I don't think you have to keep them seperate for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rug002 View Post
Hi,

I am just after some advice . . . I currently have a 4 year old Hermanns that I believe to be female (her photos have been on here a couple of times and the general consensus was female) . . I would really like to get another and was just wondering whether this would be a good idea?

I am looking to get another one from the same breeder that I got Pandora from and am currently looking at one that is about 7 months old. I will keep them apart for this year to have at least 6 months quarantine but I would really like the option of them living together in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it would seem that I appear to have caught the bug but don't want to do anything that would cause a problem to Pandora.

Thank You
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
rug002
Egg

Having posted a few pictures of Pandorra on here today it now looks like she is actually a HE and now Pan instead of Pandorra . . .so from this new development what would be my best option? I would ideally like another young tort at some point but if for now I would have to go slightly older then I will?
Old 13-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

Looking at the photos you posted it does seem like you have a male. Keep in mind how big your tortoise is. That's probably a minimum size that your new tortoise has to be in order to be pretty sure the new one is a female.

Find a breeder you can trust to incubate for female and 'save' a hatchling from them... or look for a same size female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rug002 View Post
Having posted a few pictures of Pandorra on here today it now looks like she is actually a HE and now Pan instead of Pandorra . . .so from this new development what would be my best option? I would ideally like another young tort at some point but if for now I would have to go slightly older then I will?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
rug002
Egg

Thanks for the advice, will have a long hard think about what I will do as even though I would love another the last thing I want to do is upset Pan or a new addition that wouldn't be right!
Old 13-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
tuftybunny
Egg

I am going to add my opinions now, Carrot was always kept with another hermanns and when 72 died he really did get depressed, and only really perked up with the arrival of Kiwi almost a year later. I quite often find them "cuddled" up together, so think that if they have been kept in a group however small for a number of years - carrot and 72 were together for 6 years then they may well have become accustomed to company. Not sure what will happen when kiwi gets bigger as she is still to young to sex properly.
1.0.0 Chinchilla - O.D
0.1.0 Jack Russel - Poppy
1.0.0 Stupid Cat - Boris
3.0.0 Kids - Hubby Marty, Tom, Will
tuftybunny is offline   Reply With Quote