Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default My garden

or bits of it.
I thought I would post a few pics just so we can have a little game of spot the tort food. The garden is a work in progress and a lot of plants haven't started growing yet, like dahlias and chrysanthemums. And there is remodelling going on too. So here it is.

The puddle. AKA the pond, it's so tiny you can't call it a pond but we do have a resident frog and you'd be amazed at how much life you get in such a small area, goodness knows how it gets there, beamed in from outer space I think.

This is a new area. It was all patio right up to the fence but I ran out of room for plants so I made OH take it up. Still a lot of planting to be done and some that are just growing. I'll post more later in the year. the trellis is new too. Our "lovely neighbours" put a new patio in last year, we call it the runway, it's so big, and the have it so high that when we walk out of our back door we can see them. As we don't get on it was awkward so hubby made the trellis.

An area up by the chicken run that I let my husband have. He likes these kinds of plants (wont say what they are so we can have some guesses) so I let him have that whole area, wasn't that nice of me? I had to have a few others in there too so persuaded him they look good together, the one at the back, to the right as you look at the picture, self seeded so I left it there, but is it edible for the torts? I know, do you?

This area is under a huge conifer so is very dry and has pine needles dropping every year. I am working to get some plants in that like dry shade but there aren't many.

One of my SW seeds. Do you know what it is?

This area is going to be expanded, some of the lawn will be taken away to make room for more plants.

Another view of the ex patio.

This is a new addition, the Gothic arch, only a week old. I leads to the area under the tree. I have great things planned but not sure what they are yet.

Lastly, as I was wandering around with my camera I spotted my chickens sunbathing. Bracken, it would seem has her own platform for such occasions.

0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Daryn
Hatchling

WOW nice garden and an impresive zoo by the looks of the list on your signature lol

My garden is a total mess, Ive just replaced the damaged fence panels and rotten posts but it will be back soon

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
WOW nice garden and an impresive zoo by the looks of the list on your signature lol

My garden is a total mess, Ive just replaced the damaged fence panels and rotten posts but it will be back soon
Thank you. I do have a few pets. There are some adjustments to be made to the list though. I lost a chicken last week, Willow sadly died. But I have a budgie to add, so that balances the numbers out.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 12-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Oh wow your garden is looking lovely Wendy. Plenty of tort food there I should think.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Thank you. I do have a few pets. There are some adjustments to be made to the list though. I lost a chicken last week, Willow sadly died. But I have a budgie to add, so that balances the numbers out.
Sorry to hear about Willow, Wendy. I'm down to three chickens now but they're still laying and perfectly happy so I'm not going to rock the boat and introduce any more. They deserve a nice quiet retirement here so I'll wait until these ladies pass on to better pastures and then start afresh with a new flock.

The garden looks fab and I love the new arch very much! I see you're already training something up it. Let's hope the summer improves a bit more so we can all have some garden time.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Sorry to hear about Willow, Wendy. I'm down to three chickens now but they're still laying and perfectly happy so I'm not going to rock the boat and introduce any more. They deserve a nice quiet retirement here so I'll wait until these ladies pass on to better pastures and then start afresh with a new flock.

The garden looks fab and I love the new arch very much! I see you're already training something up it. Let's hope the summer improves a bit more so we can all have some garden time.
Yes the arch has a passion flower growing up it. I had to unwind it from a small frame the grower had wound it round, took me ages but I was surprised how big it was when I finished. I've planted some perennial sweet peas under it today. They are a new variety they actually have scent and are purple rather than the wild pink ones.
It was lovely here until a few minutes ago when the thunder started and now the rain. Not as good as last time though. The thunder is miles away, it may come closer yet.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 12-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I love your garden....I want your garden. Beautiful Wendy xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Wyannis
Hatchling

Really nice garden! You obviously put a lot of time into it and it shows.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I love your garden....I want your garden. Beautiful Wendy xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyannis View Post
Really nice garden! You obviously put a lot of time into it and it shows.
Thank you. I tend to buy plants that are tort and bird friendly which are also, it turns out, bee and butterfly friendly. I feed my torts and birds and keep the wildlife happy too. I have just dug a tunnel under my fence to allow hedgehogs and frogs in and out. There are so many gardens that hedgehogs could thrive in but they can't get in because we have fencing all round. If we all made a hole in our fences the hedgehog population could recover from it's endangered status. The habitat is there but they can't get at it. I have concrete base boards under my fence so I had to tunnel under.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 12-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

It's no surprise little Herbie got lost, Wend. Mind you...he certainly knew which garden was your place I bet as well! I get hedges visiting my garden during the late summer months, and my mum and dad - I love them. I've got some proper Spike hedgie food too which they love. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote