Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 15-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
Templer-nt
Egg

ok if there are plenty of breeders in the uk, please can you tell me where i can get a male sub, adult hermanni
8 years and over, within a reasonable distance and I will have him and jive you a tenner ..
Old 15-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

If you have a good look around you will find plenty of male hermanns about, I saw an adult male for rehoming just this week.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #23
Templer-nt
Egg

ive had my adds in here and all other sites even offering the going rate for the past year and not a tinkle, if you see one please let me know....
Old 15-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #24
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templer-nt
ok if there are plenty of breeders in the uk, please can you tell me where i can get a male sub, adult hermanni
8 years and over, within a reasonable distance and I will have him and jive you a tenner ..
Just keep looking they pop up now and again i do see them. I had one for rehoming last year.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #25
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Have you joined any of the rehoming lists? This is your best bet for finding an adult male.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #26
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Oh and I'm holding you to that tenner

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

well a import is something that has come in from another region of the globe that is no associated with a group of countries, e.g. the U.K. is the united kingdom and is classed as that as a whole. thats why they are uk CB and not English CB.

It is alot more strict on bringing torts in the country than it is bringing dogs or cats in as aslong as there is proof of all the injections and such and microchipped then they can come and go without needing the 6 month quraitine. Reptiles don't need to be quarintined if imported, and it can be done as long as they are proved with the correct strorage and papers to transport them. This stuff is regularly done with snakes and lizards that people want to get new bloodline and colours and with these animals they don't stress out too much and most are noctural and sleep most of the day, but for torts that like open spaces and light, this can be a real problem. i really don't see why you want to put a tort under this much stress.

also i a guy i know who used to attend reptile expos in USA and Germany brought CB lizards that were still being sold WC in this country in a aid to stop the capturing of wild animals and to provide more CB animnals, anyway when possiable he shipped them back over seas as the air pressure can cause damage to them, or he wud have a few stops on the way to make it less stress full. This was done to help stop WC animals been sold, but ion ur case this is not a worry and abit pointless doing all this for one animal when there are many many for sale. look put and down the country, reptile centres are full of unwanted torts.

i think importing in gernal is silly when there are many UK breeders. it is kinda like shops getting there meat from abroad. it means the farmers in this country are losing money when there meat is as good as anyother.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #28
sandy
Adult

I doubt very much if an eight year old is captive bred, more likely to be either farmed or
wild caught.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #29
Templer-nt
Egg

I have an 8 year and 15 cb in the uk sold to me last year, they do come up now and then, but why only so often as we see so many hatchling being sold in the uk, that there ar'nt so many sub adults, adults?
Old 15-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #30
Jason1
Hatched

The reason they aren't avaliable as readily as hatchlings is that breeders tend to sell when they are hatchlings. I do know of one that keeps them for six years before selling to make sure they get the best start in life but this is an exception to the rule. I imagine they only come up when people lose interest and these are likely to be imports as if you were interested enough in the first place to do your research and buy from a breeder your less likely to lose interest in my opinion. Putting it another way I dont think any breeder would let someone buy one of there torts on a whim but i'm sure pet shops dont mind. Surely these are the people who lose interest more often. Of course there are personal circumstances which is probably the most likely case in people with uk bred torts.

Jason
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote