Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 15-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

Thanks for my morning giggle but you do bring up a point...

Some people use the term 'imported' as a derogatory term... that is my point. If the tortoise is captive born and bred should it matter where or which country it comes from.

[quote=Tamie Milne]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "EJ"So now... unless it is bred in the UK it is an import????? [/quote

Well of course it is, simple as really! If something/anything comes into the UK from another country it is IMPORTED and therefore an import. Hardly rocket science.

Tamie
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
helen1
Sub Adult

Only my understanding, of course, but an import is something that is legitimately brought into another country as trade i.e. to sell...

So if the person who posted buys a tort in germany to bring home as a pet it is not an import.
Old 15-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

All of my tortoises were purchased in the UK and I have brought them to Ireland via ferry in my car.

My golden greek was a Ukraine CB country of origin, my rehomer was Slovinian CB and the remainder are UK CB.

I use plastic stackable storage containers when collecting or moving my tortoises and they travel fine on the back seat of the car with the safety belt through the box.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1
Only my understanding, of course, but an import is something that is legitimately brought into another country as trade i.e. to sell...

So if the person who posted buys a tort in germany to bring home as a pet it is not an import.
'Import' - means "bring, introduce, (thing.esp goods from another country, into)" [ Oxford dictionary ] - regardless of whether it be legitimate or for trade purposes.

Therefore, if someone brings a tortoise into this country from Germany it IS an import and given "import licenses" are required for certain species then surely there is no doubt.

Tamie
Old 15-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Jason1
Hatched

If you want to a buy a tortoise from germany then go for it. ok so the journey home may be stressful but you have complete control. the tortoise can be placed in a box packed with soft bedding and when you get home it will probably just think its had a long sleep and maybe need a drink. I dont understand the difference between bringing tortoise in on a plane from Jersey or Germany. Just a slightly longer flight thats all. To be honest I wasn't sure whether it would be classed as an import either but as long as it's captive bred you should have a very healthly tortoise. The jet lag should wear off within a week or so. LOL

Jason
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

I have only had to get a new Article 10 for the golden greek when she was microchipped so I had my details and her chip id number put onto an atricle 10 issued by the Irish equivalent of DEFRA who had the article 10 I got with her, but this wasnt the original as she came from the Ukraine and I had a UK cert for her.

I hope this makes sense.

To me all of my tortoises are imported, the fact that their country of origin is not Ireland.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 15-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
helen1
Sub Adult

My understanding..........i think... I said, however as to be pedantic is the order of the day..chuckle..

I too reached for my dictionary...New Oxford... both as a verb with an object and as a noun, its states specifically "for sale".

Ah well it is of no matter we all interpret to suit.

If the tort is healthy and you want it go for it. It will have a story to tell.
Old 15-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #18
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Is this going to be one of them threads that goes on and on and round and round in circles, I hope not otherwise we know whats gonna happen!!!!!!

I think the orignal question has had a reasonable response, I for one have given an acurate account of how my tortoises came to Ireland from another country all be it from the UK, just beware if you do bring them from another country yourself you will need to carry the article 10 with you in case you are stopped at port security and asked for them otherwise the animals will be seized as suspicion of illegally importing them into the country.

Ade

Old 15-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1
My understanding..........i think... I said, however as to be pedantic is the order of the day..chuckle..

I too reached for my dictionary...New Oxford... both as a verb with an object and as a noun, its states specifically "for sale".

Ah well it is of no matter we all interpret to suit.

If the tort is healthy and you want it go for it. It will have a story to tell.
I disagree - I do not interpret to suit.

An import is something that is brought into this country regardless of trade.

We can all 'chuckle' and be 'pedantic'

Tamie
Old 15-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
sarah
Administrator
Adult

There are plently of breeders in the UK of CB tortoises no need to go aboard and get one.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote