Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 16-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
gwenq
Hatchling

Default Is this Septicemia?

Could someone please tell me if this is septicemia? I was cleaning sams shell tonight and noticed it. I am in a blind panic now!! Sam is a 13 year old hermann herc.

Thanks so much.

gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
JoesMum
Hatchling

I think it would take more than a small area of red flush for it to be Septicaemia. Read this from the Tortoise Trust

Does Sam have any other symptoms?

The real answer I should give is go the vet.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
gwenq
Hatchling

No he doesn't have any other symptoms. He has a pink flush at each end of his plastron at his legs and a flush at the top part at his head. these are the best pictures I could get he fought like a wild cat when I was trying to take the pictures, thrashing his head about from side to side. I didn't want to stress him out too much.

I will be taking him to get checked out now but just wondered if I should get an emergency appointment tomorrow and take the day off work or get an appointment for the end of next week when I am off work. I just panic when I think he is ill.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
NATURALIS
Adult

looks like he has MBD , you can tell that because of the ware on the back feet , he isn't walking squire on his feet .
Old 16-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
JoesMum
Hatchling

If it is Septicaemia, you have caught it early. When you ring the vet, ask their advice... they'll probably tell you to bring Sam straight in. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Easter Bunny
Adult

I had a panick last night with Ronnie and Reggie, but Dan said it was ok, phew!

Last edited by Easter Bunny; 16-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
gwenq
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
looks like he has MBD , you can tell that because of the ware on the back feet , he isn't walking squire on his feet .
What!?!!!!!?
Old 16-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I'd be more inclined to think septicemia or a kidney problem at his age. That kind of flush is fine on a young growing animal, but not on one that's pretty much an adult.
I'd get to a good reptile vet as soon as you can. Blood work would be good, but antibiotics while your waiting for answers can't hurt.

Danny
Old 16-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Easter Bunny
Adult

How do they get septicemia? Is it just through a cut or something?
Do torts suffer alot from kidney infections?

questions, questions, questions lol
Old 17-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
gwenq
Hatchling

I know Lynne, questions, questions, questions!

I'm distraught with this! I have been scouring the Internet and going through my books and videos. I think kidney problems can happen due to dehydration, that's about all I have worked out so far. Septicemia I think can de due to infection, cuts. I don't know what else.

Someone suggested MBD which really surprised me because Sam is a regular at my reptile vet, he just has to look at me the wrong way and he is there!! My vet has never mentioned MBD and I know Sam is kept at right temps, right substrate, fed weeds, flowers (which I grow myself), store bought mixed lettuce at a push and nutrabol every other day, never been fed a pellet as I don't feel comfortable feeding them, UVB strip light, changed every 6 months without fail, spotlight (changed to Arcadia d3 just recently), outside every sunny day we get. Bathed every day, sprayed every order day, water in his table - even though he trashes it!! He is a lovely tort, had him from 6 months old and he has a perfectly smooth shell, strong beak and nails. Absolutely nothing to indicate MBD. As for the suggestion of kidney problems, he does not seem ill at all, he is eating well, basking, climbing, trashing his box, running to me when i look into his table, he is a good weight and passing good urates. my head is spinning just now with it all.

I won't sleep tonight now, I am worried sick with this. I will be phoning my vet first thing in the morning. Sorry ive gone off on a rant!!!