Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 13-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Garden wall Legalities?!?!

During the night the wall between our front garden and the next door neighbour came down

It was bowed a little and bowing our way, and has been for 10 years plus. The centre of the bow has come away onto our drive.
Im guessing with all this cold weather and then it warming up again, thats what caused it to fall down.

So the question is 'Do we own the wall or not? we dont have the deeds as at the solicters, so we need to contact them about that. Am i right in thinking that as you stand at your front door and look down, you own the wall to the Right of your property? in which case then its our wall Unfortunately its a 6ft Horton stone wall and isnt going to be cheap to repair if thats the case.

Have googled, need to work out if it's a Boundary Wall or a Retaining Wall.

Trouble is our house's are old, so it may not even say on the deeds
Any ideas?

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

You do need to check the deeds, although as you've said, it may not always state who owns it. When facing the house, ours too is in fact the right hand side, but my friend's is the left, so it obviously does vary!

Will you have to replace it with the same style? Hopefully, no damage was done to your car etc and that you can claim on insurance.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

all I can find i this which you have probably seen already http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0013048AAfMJlO
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

are you on good terms with your neibour? maybe talking to them first might help you never know maybe you could both pay to have it repaired.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Zen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
You do need to check the deeds, although as you've said, it may not always state who owns it. When facing the house, ours too is in fact the right hand side, but my friend's is the left, so it obviously does vary!

Will you have to replace it with the same style? Hopefully, no damage was done to your car etc and that you can claim on insurance.
Its so confusing, i thought if you stood with your back to your front door looking down the drive then you owned the wall to the right?

Luckily it didnt hit any cars, and as we are in a conservation area, it will have to be in the same stone, plus the wall is a long one that tavels atleast 80ft if not longer. I hope that it can replaced in that area so to speak.

We rebuilt the wall to the left of our front door in the summer only a little one because it was in such a bad way, the bind weed from next door over the years had caused it to fall down, the old boy there was never going to fix it, and as we tied up the whole front drive, we thought we would just fix it too. We hope to move and wanted it all looking nice out the front.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
Old 13-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the moisture in the wall freezes and with that it expands so when it melts, all the stones are looser than what they were before. after last winter there were loads of collapsed walls around here, literally hundreds. the same thing applies to pot holes, we have them again already
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Zen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
the moisture in the wall freezes and with that it expands so when it melts, all the stones are looser than what they were before. after last winter there were loads of collapsed walls around here, literally hundreds. the same thing applies to pot holes, we have them again already
I think thats exactly whats happened.

Anyway i am waiting for the deeds now, have requested them from land registry today, should get them tomorrow.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
Old 13-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I think thats exactly whats happened.

Anyway i am waiting for the deeds now, have requested them from land registry today, should get them tomorrow.
The Land Registry can help you decide who own's what, i have a friend who deal's with these thing's daily at LR, She has mentioned it' not as cut and dried anymore than the fence/wall to the right i know it can be who had the wall built in the first place. I own fences to the left and right of the garden because the previous owner put them up.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
lizzy k
Incubating

When I stand with my back to my front door it's the fence on my left that we own. Our house was built in the early 50's. Will keep my fingers crossed that it's not your responsibility.
Old 13-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

There's no pattern with which side it is etc. Go here -> http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php Ask these guys

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote