Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Evie
Sub Adult

Default Territorial Blackbird

My son bought me a bird table for Christmas and it is so lovely to see the birds feeding.

However over the last few days a blackbird has been chasing off all the little birds and my robin - I even put a large tray of seed on the opposite side of the garden and he still chases the robin away from there !!!!!!

As soon as the robin pops onto the fence he appears !!!!
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

My sister was only telling me about a territorial blackbird last night. They always throw food for the birds on top of their flat roof, and Mr blackbird decided that was his home so whenever any other bird came up he would chase them away. Well one bird decided he was not taking no for an answer and confronted him. They were rolling around on the roof, then both fell off onto the floor (8ft drop) and still carried on rolling around on the floor. My sister and the kids were standing next to them, but they would not give up, in the end she split them up herself.

I have a blackbird that chases the other birds, but they just ignore him, poor fella must feel very inadequate
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Evie
Sub Adult

He is on patrol today but I have spread the seed all over.

It must be a thing with Blackbirds then Shell !!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME SHELL View Post
My sister was only telling me about a territorial blackbird last night. They always throw food for the birds on top of their flat roof, and Mr blackbird decided that was his home so whenever any other bird came up he would chase them away. Well one bird decided he was not taking no for an answer and confronted him. They were rolling around on the roof, then both fell off onto the floor (8ft drop) and still carried on rolling around on the floor. My sister and the kids were standing next to them, but they would not give up, in the end she split them up herself.

I have a blackbird that chases the other birds, but they just ignore him, poor fella must feel very inadequate

Blimey Shell,

Its sounds like a certificate 18 version of Springwatch! Now that would get the country interested in wildlife again. Fighting birds falling from an 8 foot drop, stil tearing it up, Fantastic.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Evie
Sub Adult

I feel like I am permently watching a nature programme Kirkie - I have the tortoises on cctv and the birds bickering in the garden - sometimes a waste ages just sitting watching them.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
linda
Adult

sounds a lovely way to spend time

Dominant birds

Starlings, house sparrows, collared doves and the crow family may monopolise a bird table. An overhanging roof may deter larger species but you are unlikely to stop them feeding altogether. Provide food in several places, which should at least give other birds a chance. Break food such as bread into smaller pieces so that large pieces cannot be snatched and carried off. Put food on the table, on the ground and in a variety of feeders (spreading food over a large area reduces squabbling). Loose food should only be sufficient for a day, to reduce the chance of attracting vermin at night. If pigeons increase, discourage them by containerising all food: high numbers cause problems.
Last modified: 23 August 2006
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
swad1000
Adult

Can I just say that bread really shouldn't be given to birds, and if you do give it, it should be soaked first.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
linda
Adult

i was under the same impression about bread

the quote i put above is from the rspb site

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...ing/index.aspx
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Evie
Sub Adult

If I give bread I always soak it first - in this weather though I dont feed as it soon freezes -I did buy £8.00 tub of fat balls - they have been hanging for a week and not one bird has had a nibble yet.

Asda are doing a £1 range of bird feeds, fat balls ( 6), ( saw after I had bought mine)coconut shells, fruit blocks and some great bird houses for £3.00.

I have 2 beautiful fat pigeons that are always in the garden and 2 collared doves - they dont bother the others.

I do find it quite therapeutic watching them although my OH calls it "lazy" !!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Kirkie
Adult

I think I'm the only person down my road that still feeds the birds. I've got an apple tree full of feeders and I've had all sorts here this morning (its just started snowing again and they've all scarpered). Last year I even had a woodpecker (this is in South London). I've got a menace of a male blackbird and a pair of Robins
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote