Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 21-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default OK! That's IT! You've all had your vacation. . .

. . . and now it's time to come back here! I mean it!!! It's been a week since any of you have posted here. I need my Shelled Warriors fix.

Here's what's going on here:

NOTHING!!!

LOL! Each day is just like the last with nothing new to write about. The weather has been very mild. So far this winter we've only had two nights of frost. Lately it's been 60's (F) during the days and 40's (F) at night. All my brumating species are closed up tight in their brumating areas, however, yesterday I noticed a female gulf coast box turtle peeking out from under the leaf pile, looking around.

What's with all the stray cats lately? There are so many new ones coming around I've taken to naming them. Uno is a real pretty long haired orange cat with a big abscess on his cheek. Too scared of me for me to be able to catch him.

Dos is a black and grey tabby that I only see when it's food time, also too scared of me to stick around and be petted.

Tres is a youngish siamese with the prettiest blue eyes (crossed) ever. The other day I noticed he was "making biscuits" on the shelf he was sitting on so I ventured close and slowly reached out. He allowed me to pet him. He really wants human attention.

So far there is no Quatro, but he probably won't be far behind. I guess people are just dumping their unwanted animals "out in the country" these days, and where I live I suppose could be considered as "out in the country!"

Ok, let's hear YOUR story!
Old 21-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #2
Yvonne G
Hatched

. . . oh, I forgot to mention - One of my young female radiata laid eggs a couple months ago, and an experienced fellow in Northern California agreed to incubate them for me (I know nothing about diapause). So four eggs are with him. Then two weeks ago she laid another clutch of four. The NorCal fellow will be driving this way on his way south to a reptile show in Southern California, and he'll pick up this batch on his way home next week-end.

This female radiata is probably about 10 years old. I've had her for 7 years and she was not quite full grown when I got her. She's in with two other females same size and an older male.

So I guess I lied when I said I had nothing new to talk about, as this is rather exciting news. I've got my fingers crossed that some of the eggs are fertile (it's real hard to rake leaves or vacuum with crossed fingers, so I'm not getting much yardwork or house work done these days!!).
Old 22-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Hi Yvonne
I think your a bit early as we like to hibernate a bit longer over here so I think most are still hiding especially with all the frosty weather we are getting at the moment brrrr.
I am busy trying to rebuild some of my outdoor pens due to getting a new group of anitolian spurthighs which can get very big.
So out with what was my weed/veg garden and I have made two pens even bigger so the anitolians get one and my group of Macedonian Herman's get even more room. My what I call normal group of Herman's are even going to get a few changes in their pen aswell so they all will wake up to a bit of a change.
In my tortoise room I have moved a few things about aswell due to a few new arrivals over the last few months and still waiting on a few more to come.
I really need to put up some pictures will see where I get to today with finishing off outside which is not easy with two Jack Russell's who seem to think it's a great game digging up everything due to having a very busy mole who is out digging them.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Very quiet and cold here in Kent too. Not a lot going on, just waiting for the tortoise to get up. Although its been very cold here, I can see some movement of torts under the soil in the GH. So dont think it will be long. Unless we have another real cold spell. The forecast is getting warmer slowly:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Yvonne
I think your a bit early as we like to hibernate a bit longer over here so I think most are still hiding especially with all the frosty weather we are getting at the moment brrrr.
I am busy trying to rebuild some of my outdoor pens due to getting a new group of anitolian spurthighs which can get very big.
So out with what was my weed/veg garden and I have made two pens even bigger so the anitolians get one and my group of Macedonian Herman's get even more room. My what I call normal group of Herman's are even going to get a few changes in their pen aswell so they all will wake up to a bit of a change.
In my tortoise room I have moved a few things about aswell due to a few new arrivals over the last few months and still waiting on a few more to come.
I really need to put up some pictures will see where I get to today with finishing off outside which is not easy with two Jack Russell's who seem to think it's a great game digging up everything due to having a very busy mole who is out digging them.
That must mean that the hole in your stomach has finally healed up? So glad to hear that!!!
Old 22-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Very quiet and cold here in Kent too. Not a lot going on, just waiting for the tortoise to get up. Although its been very cold here, I can see some movement of torts under the soil in the GH. So dont think it will be long. Unless we have another real cold spell. The forecast is getting warmer slowly:0)
The weather here in the States has been CRAZY!!! Extremely cold on the east coast but extra warm on the west coast. In fact, here in my area we've only had two frosty nights this whole winter. I guess Global warming (or whatever they want to call it) really is a thing!
Old 22-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
The weather here in the States has been CRAZY!!! Extremely cold on the east coast but extra warm on the west coast. In fact, here in my area we've only had two frosty nights this whole winter. I guess Global warming (or whatever they want to call it) really is a thing!
Well my daughter lives in the south of france and we have had temps higher than there, not often but it has happened. Joanne said when she went to work it was 1c. Not what you expect there:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
That must mean that the hole in your stomach has finally healed up? So glad to hear that!!!

The 12inch hole is good but in the last couple of weeks I have been getting a lot of pain/discomfort from deep inside which I assume is from the hernia repair.
Before you all say I'm not surprised doing what I have been in the garden but it really did start before I started.
I'm not going to let it beat me
Old 23-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #9
Yvonne G
Hatched

No, don't allow it to 'beat' you, however, don't aggravate it either!!!
Old 24-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #10
Gordon
Adult

I'm trying my best not to but life has to go on and nobody else will build my new tort pens for me will they.

But I have tried to get and see my doctor as it was very painful this morning but as you just can't get to see them anymore I am on a list to get a call back from a nurse Wednesday morning.

Now I know we are in and have been for a while a pandemic but I'm not sure why you can't get to see a doctor. There are going to be a heck of a lot of people that are going to suffer due to this.