Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 23-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default So Where Is Everybody?

Every a.m. I tune in and it hits me with "there are no new posts." Are you all estivating? I miss hearing from you and seeing your pictures.

Oh well. . . I'll go ahead and share my news anyway:

I've hatched out seven of the cutest little baby russian tortoises that ever walked the face of the earth. So darned cute. I wish the site would allow me to post pictures.

There are also four pipped eggs in the Manouria emys emys area. They're being very slow to come out. I hope they're ok.

The city of Clovis is widening the street in front of my house from a two lane semi rural road to a 6 lane with curbs and gutters, lights, left turn lanes, etc. This is causing me to have to catch all the animals (turtles and fish) in my pond and allow it to dry up. I'll get the pond back when construction is finished, but for the time being I have five galvanized tubs outside my side door containing two very large Florida soft shelled turtles, one Phrynops hillari, two large female red ears and one extra large western painted, and only one western pond turtle (I thought I had about five of them). I have seen, in the past, two feeder goldfish that had grown to about a foot long, but so far haven't been able to see or catch them. So far the water has evaporated down to about three or four inches, with about a foot of silt and sludge beneath the surface, which makes it pretty difficult to see or catch anybody.

So come on all you sleepers. What's going on in your lives. I miss you all.
Old 23-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Hi Yvonne

I was wondering how everyone is too:0)
Sounds like life where you are is eventful. Unlike here, weather even more unpredictable than it normally is. Tortoises not knowing whether they are coming or going. Mine are slowing down big time. We might have and Indian summer which will confound them even more:0(
Other than that not a lot going on.

Sandy
x

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hello Yvonne
Good to hear from you especially as you seem so busy. I have five Horsfield hatchlings and as you say they are lovely little things plus one stray Hermann. I hope that your Manouria eggs hatch.
I hope that you can soon get your pond back in action as it must be difficult with all your creatures especially the soft shells are they aggressive?.
As Sandy has said the weather this summer has been pretty bad and like hers my tortoises are really on the wind down. The insects seem to have done well and so far we have had to deal with both a wasps nest and hornets nest both in the roof by our bedroom window so unfortunately had to be evicted by the council.
Take care - Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Still here but had a lot going on the past 4 months health wise
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Like Alan I'm still here but not feeling the love at the moment not sure if it's from all the operations or I have had covid at some point but I've been feeling rubbish for a while now. And to top it all I have the mother of all styes in my flipping eye.

As for your Emmys Yvonne they can take a good week to come out once you see liquid coming out of the eggs. They are for those that don't know a soft shelled egg very much like a snakes.

Oh and did I mention I have one or two cooking in the incubator.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Hello Yvonne
Good to hear from you especially as you seem so busy. I have five Horsfield hatchlings and as you say they are lovely little things plus one stray Hermann. I hope that your Manouria eggs hatch.
I hope that you can soon get your pond back in action as it must be difficult with all your creatures especially the soft shells are they aggressive?.
As Sandy has said the weather this summer has been pretty bad and like hers my tortoises are really on the wind down. The insects seem to have done well and so far we have had to deal with both a wasps nest and hornets nest both in the roof by our bedroom window so unfortunately had to be evicted by the council.
Take care - Mary
Yes, the soft shells ARE pretty aggressive. I have a very large female and a smaller male. I bought four 2'x6'x2' galvanized horse troughs, and the two softshells are way too big to have to live in one of those. I have to change the water daily. This is going to be a pretty busy winter, changing the water so often! Not looking forward to that. I ordered the troughs last September and they finally came in at the end of July - almost a whole year. So when they came in and I saw how small they are, there's no way I could re-order something bigger. Construction is scheduled to start in a couple weeks, so I need them NOW!
Old 24-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Still here but had a lot going on the past 4 months health wise
So sorry to hear that. I hope it wasn't the dreaded Covid! But you're back to feeling better now?
Old 24-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Like Alan I'm still here but not feeling the love at the moment not sure if it's from all the operations or I have had covid at some point but I've been feeling rubbish for a while now. And to top it all I have the mother of all styes in my flipping eye.

As for your Emmys Yvonne they can take a good week to come out once you see liquid coming out of the eggs. They are for those that don't know a soft shelled egg very much like a snakes.

Oh and did I mention I have one or two cooking in the incubator.
Yeah, when we didn't hear from you I was wondering if you had more surgery. It's no fun feeling poorly, especially when there's animals that need you.

Happy to say, I've never had a sty.

So you're feeling better now?
Old 24-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Yeah, when we didn't hear from you I was wondering if you had more surgery. It's no fun feeling poorly, especially when there's animals that need you.

Happy to say, I've never had a sty.

So you're feeling better now?
Nope
I just ache everywhere and unbelievabley tired all the time.
I'm not done with hospitals yet as waiting on a scan now.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
Yvonne G
Hatched

Oh lordy, lordy. . . will it never end, Gordon? Have you been Covid tested?