Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Julia
Egg

Default weight problem

Hi, I wondered if you could give me advice re the already much discussed weigh problems. My 4 year old Jessie has always enjoyed her food, but this summer she put on a record amount of weight. She is growing much too fast for her age. I will be taking her to the vets tomorrow, to have her checked. She is 13 cm long and today weighed in at 404 g !! The problem is that almost all of this weight has come from her having the free run of my garden. I have not fed her at all, other than 2-3 times per week a salad leaf with some Nutrobal. The rest was just weeds and flowers that she eats as she wanders round. How can I possibly restrict her when out and about ? Should I keep her in her box for a few days every week, but this seems very cruel when it is nice and sunny outside. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Julia for her length that weight is just fine . If she's gaining this on her own outside then thats just fine, just remember to keep supplementing. Is she growing smoothly? If she is everything is just fine

Dan
Old 27-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Julia
Egg

Thanks Dan for your re-assurance,
I am still not sure about this, as she is only just 4 years old and she is a bit bumpy and her shape seems to have flattened out this year. All the textbooks seem to suggest that she should be much smaller and lighter.
Old 28-10-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Not sure what you mean by "flattened out". Is she growing smoother now or is she actually flat and not domed now?
A picture would help if possible

Dan
Old 28-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
terrypin
Adult

hi i have found that when my youngsters go out into the adult enclosure which is much bigger they seem to grow faster yet without any lumpyness i do beleive this is because of the extra exercise and they are able to burn off any excess protein as they would in the wild.
terry
Old 28-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Julia
Egg

thanks again. I have just taken her to the vets and he said that the lumpiness might lessen as she gets older. He also seemed to think that her weight was nothing to worry about. He said that she was very healthy, which is re-assuring. Still, she has put on 160grams in one growing season. Perhaps it is to do with having been outdoors much longer than in her early years and having free acces to food at any time.