Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly2 View Post
Hi i bathed them and one did a poo and a wee but the other did neither and he seems to be much more subdued than the other although he is still active. I have ordered an infared thermometer a 10.0 uvb tube a clip on light and a 100w heat bulb they have a cuttlefish but do i need a calcium powder as well, i change the water daily and put fresh food in daily is there anything i need to do to make them comfortable/happy in the new housing.
Not all tortoises will chew on cuttle bone to start with, so having the calcium carbonate is a good thing to have as well. Keep up the bathing as it will help keep them hydrated. As you have found out, no two tortoises are the same:0)
As long as they both have clear bright eyes, a dry nose and are active, they will settle in time:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

I have found with my horsfields they never seemed to like it too hot but would bask under around 23 - 27 degrees. It is a balance. Table top much preferable to vivarium set up. You might find cucumber in small amounts helps and entices appetite and hydrates.
Co-op sell rocket in a bag (basically dandelion leaves but not frozen like outside now! ). keep away from spinach leaves in other salad bags, but you cant go wrong with most of them. If you are unsure on eating and hydration it could be beneficial to weigh them and monitor.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
Barnclai
Egg

Hello everyone quick question how is everyone on tortoises eating cooked broccoli?
Mine love it as a treat but not sure if it's really bad for them they always have leafy greens with if when they do have it

Thanks in advance ��
Barnclai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #14
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnclai View Post
Hello everyone quick question how is everyone on tortoises eating cooked broccoli?
Mine love it as a treat but not sure if it's really bad for them they always have leafy greens with if when they do have it

Thanks in advance ��

Where would they get cooked food in the wild?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Barnclai
Egg

Well I know that what I was asking is if it's very bad for them? They might find it uncooked in the wild but it just seems too hard for them to eat uncooked as there only young
Barnclai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnclai View Post
Well I know that what I was asking is if it's very bad for them? They might find it uncooked in the wild but it just seems too hard for them to eat uncooked as there only young
I wouldn't feed anything they cant get in the wild.
Stalks of any foods store up most of the proteins.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

even hatchlings are perfectly capable of tearing their own food otherwise they would all die in the wild so while it may seem nice to chop their food up its better to let them do it themselves. Problems with their beak overgrowing can occur if they aren't allowed to feed themselves, its that tearing, biting that strenthens and keeps the beak nice and short.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote