Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
vivp
Hatched

Default mate worried about female redfoot

my mate needs some advice i posted photos of her adult redfoots couple of weeks ago, the male is fine but the past week the female hasnt gone of her food but doesnt move alot, they where both check over by the vet before she got them she had them about 3 months now.

viv
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Sounds excatly what my male re foot went through. This is because she is wild caught and most possibly has hexamita it needs treating asap

From tortoise trust

Hexamitiasis:

Infection of the renal-urinary system by the flagellate organism Hexamita parva presents a serious danger. Symptoms include voiding of unusually concentrated urine, often smelling strongly of ammonia. In severe cases, this may be tinged with blood. The animal may also display signs of dehydration, and may drink excessively. In chronic cases, the tortoise will have a wasted, debilitated appearance and may lack muscular retractive power particularly of the back legs. The condition is highly infectious, and suspected cases should be isolated immediately and veterinary assistance sought urgently. If untreated, death will eventually result from necrotic degeneration of the kidneys.
We have encountered several cases of Hexamita parva infection, and it seems particularly prevalent in G.pardalis. Urine samples from infected animals viewed microscopically will reveal large quantities of the organisms, which are much smaller than Trichomonads, typically measuring 8.03um X 4.79um (Zwart & Truyens,1975). The recommended treatment consists of oral administration via stomach tube of Ronidazole Duodegran) 10mg/Kg daily for 10 days,or Metronidazole (Flagyl) over the same period at 25mg/Kg (Zwart,1987). We have, however, noted a quicker response to the Metronidazole if the first dose of the course is delivered at 260mg/Kg and thereafter at the lower dose for the remaining period. Constant urine examinations should be undertaken throughout the treatment period, and thereafter at weekly intervals for several months and any recurrence must be treated immediately.
During treatment renal damage can be limited by supplying a kidney 'flushing' agent such as Hartmann's Solution (compound sodium lactate intravenous infusion B.P) orally at 5% of total bodyweight daily.(N.B: This can also be useful when dosing with aminoglycoside antibiotics where nephro-toxicity is a potential problem).

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Cheffi

Gosh that is amazing how you can diagnose what that tortoise has from the first post. This forum is just full of wonderful people.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
piglet
Adult

Rather than this be a true diagnoses from the post basically what Sarah is warning is that heximita is the most commonly found ailment in imported redfoots,yellowfoots and cherry-headed redfoots,and as the symptoms are listlessness,refusing to eat and hiding away its a sure assumption that this tortoise is possibly suffering from heximita protozoa, treating for this will inevitably be the first step towards finding out what could be wrong ,its always best to treat any imported redfoot for heximita.

What type of husbandry is your friend using for these tortoises as it may be a husbandry incorrection that is causing it.

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Cheffi

Nevertheless it's still an amazing website, take the compliment!! How do we know these torts are imports tho?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
vivp
Hatched

she hides away will eat if i put the food in front of her.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hi Cheffi, When vivp first posted we warned her about the possible risk of heximita in these tortoises as they are adults and are both wild caught. This disease is the biggest killer in imported tortoises and needs to be checked out. I could be wrong but its better to be safe than sorry.

Viv what vet did your friend go to?

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivp
she hides away will eat if i put the food in front of her.
What sort of food are you feeding her? My male who was having problems would only eat wet cat biscuits if i hand fed them.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Cheffi

Thank you for explaining that Sarah. If it was me and I suspected there was something wrong with my torts I would be straight to the vets with them. Identical symtoms could be one of a variety of diseases and sometimes nothing at all and imho it is better to be safe than sorry. Waiting for answers on forums when your tort is displaying the signs of being unwell or just off colour could be the difference between life and death or severe damage.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
vivp
Hatched

she eats dark green leaf,fruit,chicken mushrooms,the crispy lettice bag from tesco and weeds, wet cat biscults.

so not off her food