Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 31-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
mollymurphy
Egg

Default Leopard Advice

Hi there,

We have two leopards (1 male, 1 female....we think!) who are nearly 500g each now. We've had them since August and did tons of research before we got them, but we keep getting told different things regarding their husbandry. They were origionally on wood chips (I cant remember which type - it was recommended by the breeder), then we read they should be on hemp, so we've changed them onto that, but now i've read that sand is ideal! We're so confused!

We were told to be careful not to overfeed by one person, then the vet said to feed them ad lib!

They're really fussy when it comes to eating weeds - just pick out their favourites. They wont touch hay or long grass, just eat the short, sweet stuff. If we were to leave them with no alternative, would they eventually eat it?

Also, are we supposed to have wormed them? Again, i've read varying opinions on this! If so, how do we go about doing this, and how often should it be done?

And finally (sorry for going on!), we were thinking of investing in a shed for them, as their tortoise table is looking a bit small. With the appropriate heating and UV equipment, is it possible to keep them in a shed all year round (with the exception of extreme colds)? They have an outdoor pen for summer use, but we feel a bit mean keeping them in a tortoise table all winter! They come out for walks / runs around the house, but is this really enough?

Many thanks!

Lou.
mollymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
mollymurphy
Egg

Oh, and what do people think of rock piles in their outdoor pen?! They really seem to want to climb, but we're worried they'll fall over backwards!!
Old 31-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Wellersbird

You are always, always going to get conflicting advice. That's one thing for sure.

I have Leopards and feel free to email me 1966@talktalk.net
Old 31-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
yam yam
Sub Adult

i dont have Leopards so i cant help but just wanted to say hello and welcome to this great site you will get lots of help and advice here good luck

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
wizzasmum

**(1 male, 1 female....we think!)**

Do you have pics of the undersides for ID purposes?

**but we keep getting told different things regarding their husbandry**

Try to think of where they come from. In South Africa they don't live on woodchips. Sand/soil is far more natural. Sand alone can cause impaction so best avoided.

**We were told to be careful not to overfeed by one person, then the vet said to feed them ad lib! **

Leopards are opportunistic grazers so they should ideally have access to a lawn or rough grass area. If not feed grass, hay or redigrass.

**They're really fussy when it comes to eating weeds - just pick out their favourites.**

That is purely because they have the choice - a bit like kids with sweets.

** They wont touch hay or long grass,**

They will if offered nothing else. They do prefer new grass to old though.

just eat the short, sweet stuff. If we were to leave them with no alternative, would they eventually eat it?

**Also, are we supposed to have wormed them? **

If imported, yes. do them annually if allowed to graze. Use panacur horse worming paste

**With the appropriate heating and UV equipment, is it possible to keep them in a shed all year round**

Yes so long as their habitat has thermostatic controls to prevent overheating or under heating. Mine live like this all winter with access to outdoors when the weather is suitable.

**They have an outdoor pen for summer use,**

They can use this in winter too so long as they can get indoors when they need to warm up.

** but we feel a bit mean keeping them in a tortoise table all winter! They come out for walks / runs around the house, but is this really enough? **

No they need access to outdoors. Hope this helps
Old 31-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
veebee
Sub Adult

I keep my leopards on hemp (aubiouse) and put hay in the hides for bedding/eating (never seen them eat it tho!). Sand on its own is not suitable, if its eaten it can compact in the stomache. Top soil/playsand can be used.

They shouldnt be overfed, fed they same as other torts, agin slow growth is the best way to keep the shells smooth, make sure plenty of calcium (limestone flour) is available, either on food or in separate bowl, and nutrobal couple of times a week sprinkled on food with the calcium.

I only feed them weeds, with fresh grass cut and mixed in (so that it sticks to the food when they eat it). They are like us, give them something naughty and sweet and they will eat it, so avoid giving it to them, stick to what they would find in the wild.

Regarding worming, if you are concerned take a poo sample to the vet to be tested and take it from there.

Great idea about the heated shed, as they get bigger this is what they will need. Lots of leopard owners keep them this way throughout the whole year. The overnight heating on a thermostat will stop the shed from freezing or going too cold.

There is a site for leopard owners at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/leopardtortoise-uk/

Hope this helps, also search leos on this site, there is lots of brilliant advice. Vivienne

Mods, if its not appropriate to mention the leo site, please feel free to delete link (dont want to get banned!!! lol) Viv
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
veebee
Sub Adult

Snap Sue, we posted the same time, and our info agrees!!! lol

Vivenne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
wizzasmum

LOL - my leos are indoors right now as the shed got damaged in the storms. They are not happy right now and have to go out for a wander to stop them from banging about in the run, little devils.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
mollymurphy
Egg

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated info! I'll forward all of this to my mum (I'm at uni at the mo).

Any thoughts on the rock piles?

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
wizzasmum

Leopards do like to climb but bear in mind that they do not right themselves as easily as some species seem to do if they tip up. I try to keep them on flattish surfaces and once they have learned that walls are unclimbable they seem to prefer this.