Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 27-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Default LEOPARD COSTS

Ok so as im sure alot of you know by now i am hoping to have leos in the future but before i take the leo plunge i am researching so was wondering if a leo owner could please try and tell me the costs of keeping them when at their most expensive?

By this i mean how much will it cost me to keep a leo in the environment it needs.

What kind of electric bills am i looking at and so on?

Many thanks for any info supplied i know its going to be expensive but would like to know roughly how expensive

Nicky[/u]
Old 27-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Glitter

Hi

I can only give you a cost of caring for 3 relatively smal Leo's:

My electricity bill has gone up per month by about £25 - the two heat lamps are on 12 hours a day along with the 2 UV strips.

My gas bill has gone up by around £10 per month - I have my room thermostat set at 22 degrees during the day and 19 at night.

The food costs are nil as I pick fresh weeds every week and never feed any salad items (with the expection of the odd slice of cucumber one a month)

My three have a large amount of limestone powder on every meal... which I buy from Sarah in bulk.

During the summer months I will have an area of the enclosure which is still heated... so elec bills in the summer I imagine will remain the same as during the winter months where normally you would expect elec bills to go down in the summer months.

My central heating wont be on during the summer months - my gang will not be sleeping outdoors as they are too young - but am guessing the natural temp of the house in the summer will be warm enough.

I have also taken out insurance for my 3 Leopards - cost on average £20 per month for the 3.

Hope ths helps.
Old 27-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Thanks Deb that does help for when they are babies and doesnt sound to extravegant BUT i am aware that their costs will increase as their size does so any more info for leos stages of life costs from anyone else who has older leos would be great.

Thanks ever so much all info gratefully recieved xxx

Nicky