Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
paul boyle
Egg

Default winter temps

Hello all

I was just wondering about keeping torts [baby hermanni] indoor over the winter period.
As you all know some torts do not hibrinate ,keeping them indoors over winter times with a 60 watt light kept on for a 12 hour period.. is this right and what about the uv lamp,do you run both at the same time ??

one more question please...In winter the room temp may drop a lot when the timer switched the light off,will thay be ok..if the room temps drop very low.

maria.
paul boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

You should only over winter a hibernating tortoise if they are not fit for hibernation all tortoises that are meant to hibernate need to hibernate it is possible to over winter but like i say should only be done when the tortoise can not hibernate due to illness/weight ect.

Hope this helps Nicky
Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Hi

I will be hibernating my 2 little THB`s this winter, they were born in June 2006, and the breeder who I bought them from, hibernated them before he sold them to me, so this will be their 2nd hibernation of their little lives.
There are lots of tips on this site about hibernating and lots of people to help you.

Tanya
Bride2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Only ill health should stop any hibernation of hermanni.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Hi

As everyone has already mentioned you really need to hibernate your torts unless there is a valid reason not to (as mentioned above). I know that hibernation an be a scary thing especially the 1st time around, I was terrified, but it does the torts the word of good. Mine came out fighting fit and rearing to go.
:P
Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
paul boyle
Egg

hermanns
horsefields
marginated
ibera
Do any or all of the above tortiose hibrinate.

maria
paul boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Yes all hibernate<g> scary isnt it. But please dont be put off, we all feel the same.
After the first hibernation you will wonder why you worried. Lots of friendly folk to help you
through the first time.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
niamherrity
Adult

Hi paul, I have an ibera an it will be my first time to hibernate her I will be nervous but it's the best thing to do for your tort I have all summer to learn what to do
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
pawsplus
Hatched

LOL, there were many reasons why I chose a redfoot, after much reseach -- I live in a hot, humid climate, so I figured that a redfoot would feel right at home at least 8 mos of the year; I liked it that they are not diggers, so that would make pen construction easier, AND they do not hibernate! At the time, that just sounded WAY too scary!! Now that I've done so much more reading, and seen so many people hibernate their torts successfully, it doesn't sound nearly as scary, but I can understand!

If you live in the UK, I think that the med species are the best bet, just b/c you have a climate that is a LITTLE more appropriate for them than Leopards, sulcata, redfoots, etc. So just learn all you can about hibernating, get TONS of advice from this board when the time comes, and it will all go fine. It's what mother nature meant for them to do, after all!

pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote