Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
cogsred
Egg

Default In Praise of Dentists

my first visit to the dentist was about 1957! Petrified by the sight of instruments and gas equipment i fought (literally) to prevent anyone having access to the mouth.. The assistant cracked me one across the face. All in all, an unhappy and traumatising event.

Mid-day today i sat in a comfortable, bright and new surgery being treated by a friendly dentist with an excellent 'bedside' manner. Drilled the cavity (after a few jabs in gum) only to be told that the tooth was not retrieveable due to a crack. So, plan B - a bit of pulling and tugging, and out it came (upper molar).

No pain of any significance at any stage, and i didn't cry ( brave boy ). What a difference 55 years has made. Dentists are ace IMV, and mine is on the list for a yuletide card this year.

That being said, tortoises really don't know how lucky they are to be able to avoid the anguish of ever having to visit one.
cogsred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

Glad to hear you had a good experience this time..they definately have come along way. x
Old 19-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
cogsred
Egg

Guess what will be under my pillow tonight LYNNEE? Do you think that any of your fairies will be available for placing some gold coloured coins in the space where my cracked molar is sitting?
Old 19-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsred View Post
Guess what will be under my pillow tonight LYNNEE? Do you think that any of your fairies will be available for placing some gold coloured coins in the space where my cracked molar is sitting?
Well, Only if you've been a very, very good boy
Old 20-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
herriotfan
Hatchling

Now it's a new day I'd like to know if you had a visit from the tooth fairy?
Dogs (Ellie & Alfie)
Parrot (Peanut)
Crested Gecko (Echo)
Electric Blue Day Gecko (Bobby Blue)
Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie, Twiglet & Percy)

herriotfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
cogsred
Egg

It is as i always suspected i'm afraid - there are no supernatural interventions from fairies or ouijy spirits, so no gold (or silver) items appeared under the pillow..

Even though it wasn't a fair test (the tooth remained with the dentist), i remain completely persuaded that fairies and spirits and the like are the product of human imagination.

i always ask myself the vital question: 'can a thought exist without a brain'?
Old 20-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I had a filling done back in about April or maybe February, can't remember now but after the numbness wore off it was sore. It's sore every time I bite something so I am eating with the other side until next year. I was at a private dentist, not through choice really and waited 3 years for the NHS and this is what happens

I think the dentist I got had only left the school 5 minutes previously
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I had a filling done back in about April or maybe February, can't remember now but after the numbness wore off it was sore. It's sore every time I bite something so I am eating with the other side until next year. I was at a private dentist, not through choice really and waited 3 years for the NHS and this is what happens

I think the dentist I got had only left the school 5 minutes previously
Oh, I had a private dentist once... never again! she gave me a filling and while giving me the anesthetic caught the nerve with the needle, was tingly for about 6 months... never went back!!

My new NHS dentist is rather good though!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
rocio
Hatchling

There are loads of dentists here in Murcia province. You don't have to wait weeks to get an appointment as you sometimes do in the UK. The one I use is very caring and painfree with an up to date surgery and he's also divine looking as well. Not very expensive either. I can remember going to the dentist as a child in Cupar,Scotland and as my Mum and I climbed the stairs to his surgery,the smell of the gas he used would come drifting down. When he worked on my teeth I was given a block of rubber to bite on. I can still see the rubber mask that delivered the gas being put over my face. More than enough to give a child nightmares for life!!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote