Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles
Default Humidity Help Please

A colleague gave me a digital thermometer, hygrometer today. the thermometer does the room temp and there's a wire and probe that takes the humidity reading. It's reading 58% now (lights off).
A couple of questions, I'm a bit unsure of what to do and what the humidity readings should be Thank you.
  • Does the probe get poked into the substrate or sit on top, or do you have it attached to the side of the table say 3 or 4 inches off the substrate?
  • Do you put the probe at the cold end, under the UVB or half way or do you need to take readings at differnt places on the table?
  • Does the probe need to go in the sleeping area?
  • What should the desired readings be day when the lights are on and night times, when the lights are off?
I would have like to attched the probe to one spot and leave it there, is this not what people do... help I'm confused!
Old 25-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know but this will bump the thread up to the top and hopefully someone else will know
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

There is no 'required' humidity. There isn't a number of what it should be. Ideally you want to give the tortoise a choice... like everything else... because we don't actually know. Beneficial would be a better word. 58% is good for one area. move the probe around to get an idea of how it varies. midline of the tortoise in terms of height is a good average to see what the tortoise is exposed to.

If I were going to put the probe in one spot I'd put it in the humid hide and shoot for a humidity of 50 to 75% measured at the top of the hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
A colleague gave me a digital thermometer, hygrometer today. the thermometer does the room temp and there's a wire and probe that takes the humidity reading. It's reading 58% now (lights off).
A couple of questions, I'm a bit unsure of what to do and what the humidity readings should be Thank you.
  • Does the probe get poked into the substrate or sit on top, or do you have it attached to the side of the table say 3 or 4 inches off the substrate?
  • Do you put the probe at the cold end, under the UVB or half way or do you need to take readings at differnt places on the table?
  • Does the probe need to go in the sleeping area?
  • What should the desired readings be day when the lights are on and night times, when the lights are off?
I would have like to attched the probe to one spot and leave it there, is this not what people do... help I'm confused!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
If I were going to put the probe in one spot I'd put it in the humid hide and shoot for a humidity of 50 to 75% measured at the top of the hide.
Thank you Ed, that's what I'll do
I'll put the probe down the covered end that's where the heat mat is (on the floor covered in slate with a therm as previously discussed). I'll spay around that area lightly, with the warmth from the heat mat it won't be damp-ish and cold which I know is unsuitable for meds.
Thanks again