Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles
Default Can't get my head around this bathing...

We either get them up and bath them, or they get up on their own and we bath them.
Many of us do this every day!
I know bathing warms them up, stimulates hunger and generally increases activity. Many tortoises have a wee, poo and a drink in their bath (hopefully not in that order)

But why?
If they were wild torts they wouldn't obviously have a bath everyday and probably not drink as often.

Sorry this may seen a daft question but curiosity as got the best of me
and I would like to know your thoughts
Old 22-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
SeeShell
Adult

I think, given many torts are kept indoors (especially babies), it gets very dry so it's important to keep them nice and hydrated. My young ones only get out on nice days (not many at the min) and in the spring and summer the air is dry, soil dries out too, and the combined UV bulbs are belting out heat. Particularly small torts hydrate quickly so it's important to bath them regularly. In the wild the moisture content is higher; particularly at night; somthing that's hard to achieve indoors. My bigger torts are out more but I still bath them a couple of times a week; especially the non-hibernating species through winter. Also bathing encourages expulsion of waste so gives them the chance to have a nice old clearout!
Old 22-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
mrscross78
Hatchling

My tortoises are 9 months old. I bath them most days - not every day though, also I bath them at any time in the day I have no set order... I don't know if this is correct or not, I like to think I'm doing things OK though.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
kat4788
Incubating

well my little lady loves her baths, takes ages to get her out. the male on the other hand doesn't share her enthusiasm.
kat4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Easter Bunny
Adult

I bath mine every other day usually. As soon as I take them out and put them back in their enclosure they run into their hide. It doesn't stimulate them to eat etc, it makes them want to sleep, lol

Good thing is though, they poo in the bath so don't have to clean enclosure so much

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
mrscross78
Hatchling

I read recently that over bathing tortoises speeds up their digestion too much and that when they eat, their food should take time to digest but because of 'over bathing' they don't get enough nutrients from their food because bathing makes them go to the toilet too quickly.. So that left me a little confused as to how often to bath my babies.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 22-05-2011 at 05:46 PM.
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
I read recently that over bathing tortoises speeds up their digestion too much and that when they eat, their food should take time to digest but because of 'over bathing' they don't get enough nutrients from their food because bathing makes them go to the toilet too quickly.. So that left me a little confused as to how often to bath my babies.
Oh I'd be interested to know where you read that
Bathing does sort of force them to have a poo. Would they have poo'd that day anyway... makes you wonder doesn't it!
Mines only a babe too, he's 10 months and I've had him from 1 month old
Totally agree we like to think that we're doing the 'best' for them

SS I can see what you mean, I think conditions would be drier on a table than in the wild, thanks.
Old 22-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
suttysue
Sub Adult

Bathing is important to hydrate them & to give them the opportunity to drink if they want to. It also encourages them, as stated previously, to have a clear out toilet wise.
Another plus is it helps them shed dry skin.
In the wild instinct help them find moisture. We cannot replicate that so we bath them instead.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
Bathing is important to hydrate them & to give them the opportunity to drink if they want to. It also encourages them, as stated previously, to have a clear out toilet wise.
Another plus is it helps them shed dry skin.
In the wild instinct help them find moisture. We cannot replicate that so we bath them instead.
Sue
Great, thanks. Good point about the flaky skin
Old 22-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it helps prevent bladder stones
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote